STARTING UP NEW TANKS

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Okay, here's the deal. Our existing 57-liter tank (which has been running for approximately 6 months) has the following: 1 guppy, 1 platty, 3 corydoras catfish, 12 cardinal tetras, 5 glowlight tetras, 5 african lampeyes, and 5 rummy nose tetras, and some plants. Yes, I understand that we are a bit overstocked.

We have 3 other tanks: a 157-liter tank, a 30X30X25cm tank, and a 20X20X20cm tank. Before buying any new fish, I would like to know which of our existing fish would be best suited for which tanks. Then, we could transfer them into a different tank as to resolve the overstocking problem in our 57-liter tank.

Can you suggest which fish we should move and into which tanks in order to start the cycling process? In the long-run, we're not exactly sure what fish we'll want to have. Guppies are definitely of interest, likely for one of the bigger tanks. Anyway, as I said, the first order or business is to try and use our existing fish to cycle the new tanks. I know that we should not move the cardinal tetras or the catfish. They are quite sensitive and do not cycle well. What about the others? Suggestions... Thanx.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Since you have one established tank I'd personally go for fishless cycling in the new tanks so that you dont have to worry about fish loss due to ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Using media from the established tank should speed that up immensely. Even faster would be if you take a filter from one of those tanks and run it on the existing tank (in addition to the one you already have) for a week or two and then put it on the new tank and move fish into it quickly and monitor the levels of ammonia/nitrites for a few days to be sure you got enough bacteria on the filter.