sticking card board to back of tank

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Is there a good way to do this, i am fighting sunlight problems which are causing some algae problems, and i would also like to cover the wires on the back, is there a particular way to do attach cardboard to the tank, silicone, tape... any other suggestions?
Brahm

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i just use tape...duct tape will make it stick forever, but i just use scotch and if it starts to fall off now and again i re-tape...i use black posterboard...two 98 cent sheets will do a 55, hard to beat that price

ive read of people using things like vegetable oil to kind of "glue" it directly to the glass, but i dont like that idea personally...there has been great debate about bugs, smell, etc and i would rather not risk it. people have also used water on lightweight cardboard (like posterboard)

Nov 1, 2004
CO
Visit site
block out the sun...

I don't like the idea of paint, even acrylic paints have fumes. Anything you can smell (in the air) is already in the water.

How about finding an acrylic store? They often have lots of left over pieces of acrylic sheets in blue or black that they'll cut for free to fit the back. You can glue it on (take it outside, empty tank)
or tape it. I've used that thick clear tape on occasion. Or contact paper, although it can be pretty hard to remove on down the road. Super heavy duty tin foil, or foam sheets from the craft store...

Mini blinds or a shade?

On the other hand you might want to get a dwarf Pleicostomus.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well this is a salt water tank, and the paint would be allowed to dry completely before it was adhered to the tank, most paints cure to hardness within 48-72 hours, some polymer based laquers dry even faster.