Sticky Fins

May 19, 2003
Sydney
www.angelfire.com
Betta Sticky Fins

Hmmm... My male betta's fins seem to be stuck together at the ends. Even his little pectoral fins (umm, not sure what those are really called) are stuck together in little points at the ends.

Aside from that they look okay- there doesn't seem to be any fungus growing on them or anything like that.

A little back history-

When I got him about a week and a half ago his fins were in perfect condition. I added him to my 20G community tank and he seemed happy.

Next morning I got up and he had a small fungussy ball on the end of the longest bit of his tailfin. When I got home after work, this was gone.

The next day when I got home from work my Rummy nosed tetras were chasing him and nipping his fins. After looking around my house the only thing I could find to put him in to keep him separate from the tetras was a small plastic beansprout container so I emptied it, washed it out thouroughly with water, then caught him and put him in it- suspended in the water from the hood of my tank so that he would stay warm. He had to stay in there for two days before I was able to get to a pet store and get him a new tank.

So I got the 6G tank and washed it all out, I filled it with water from my main tank (i have been doing a 30% change every week) refilled the main tank and added two female bettas. He seemed to be calm and collected in his new tank. Added Stress Coat to both tanks.

after spending a few (3) days in the new tank (I tested its parameters on the seccond day (ph 7.2, ammo 0, nitrite 0.... just like the main tank)) He looked extremely bored and wasn't moving much- still healthy looking. I wondered if the presence of the females in the main tank might spur him on to defend himself against the rummy nosed onslaught. So I put him back in the main tank. He was interested in one of the females but not the other. The tetras have left him alone since I put him back in there too, so I'm hoping that all will be well. Only thing is these damned sticky fins! I added another dose of stress coat to the main tank hoping the lubricating effects of the aloe vera might help his fins to unfurl.

He doesn't seem himself though- this proud fish seems rather sullen and I am wondering if he is upset that his fins aren't at their best now that he has a harem to attend to.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Have had the same thing happen to a few of my bettas. One "cure" that seemed to work is to take a mirror and put it in front of him. He should spread his finnage in response to what he thinks is another male. "Poof" the little "ball" was gone.

I think he will do better by himself. Hope you have a separator between him and the females. He's really stressed in the big tank. The tetras will continue to go after his fins. He may be sullen because he is healing. If you can get your hands on it, get some Almond Leaves. I get mine from a SE Asian betta breeder. Put some of the leaf . . . about the size of a quarter or a bit more for the 6g tank. It acts as a medication and changes the water parameters to what he would find in the wild. The betta breeder puts some of the leaf into each indivdual bowl.

May 19, 2003
Sydney
www.angelfire.com
revfred, I have been told that if I keep one female with the male that he will get territorial and attempt to kill her. The advice was that with 2 or 3 he would get on with them okay becasue he could spread his attention around all of them. Are you saying that without the separator he will still attack them?

Mar 11, 2003
Clamped fins usually indicate one of the following: 1) Stress (take the females out, 6 gallons is way too small to keep a male in with females). 2) Poor water conditions (do regular tank maintenance, is your tank cycled?). 3) Temperature (Do you have a heater? Try and get the temp up to 78*F).

Some medicines that might help unclamp him are Bettamax and Melafix. These are meds that you use when you don't know whats wrong. They are regular antibiotics and won't "cure" anything, but will fight off bacteria, ect. If he does have a serious disease, and you diagnose him (do not use strong medications without being 100% positive of his disease!) then get out and buy some real meds, like maracyn, maroxy, ect.

Hope this helps!

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I would keep him in his own tank and leave the females in the larger one, chances are when he feels better, he will chase them in a smaller tank. Sounds like stress for the male, again what Alexa said about temperature and water conditions - big variations will cause fungus and clenched fins per say.

Keep us posted

May 19, 2003
Sydney
www.angelfire.com
I put him back in the small tank this morning as he is starting to get a bit aggressive with the females, chasing them more vigourously. last night when I got home from work his fins were looking a lot better, starting to unstick- (they were only stuck at the ends)... they are getting more colour back now too. I think I'll just leaev the females in the larger tank they seem happy in there and are interesting to watch.

They seem to be eating all the smaller snails in my tank- I have noticed since I got them a week ago that the snail population of my tank has plummeted- and on a number of occasions I have observed the female bettas pluck a snail out from between bits of gravel and bang it against the rocks- fascinating!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Mar 11, 2003
Bettas are very helpful to keep snail populations down. I know many people use bettas to keep livebearer populations down too. They will eat pretty much anything small enough to fit in their mouths. I am really glad you took your male out. I personally (from research, experience *during a spawn*, and websites) don't believe in housing Males with Males, or Males with Females. Its just not worth it, and while some people disagree, I will always stick by this and advise people not to put a male betta with any other betta.

Alexa

May 24, 2017
I'm not sure what's going on with mine, either.....it looks also stuck together on that spot at the end. He's also alot more purple then this pic allows...
Any ideas?
He's very happy and I believe really healthy... his tank is 2 gallons, that's filtered, and I change his water one a week, and use BettaSafe. Had him for several months now.. I can't afford heaters right now, And i keep him on a heating pad. And it works really well for such a small tank. Im used to having a 55 gallon...so these small ones throw me off alot... I'm also concerned that his front fin is growing straight across now... any information is highly appreciated. Thank You!

Attachments