StinKTank

I had a dead feeder fish in the tank about 4 days and I just noticed it stinks when I was feeding so I thought I would scoop it out. Anyways the question does stinkier water automatically mean that i need a water change? I dont test yet but will be soon. big water change at least once a month along with a gravel vac also I just did a water change last week. Also it was direct from hose to tank with stress coat added to remove chlorine. question 2. Have I possibley damaged the good bacteria?

Also Were I was smelling is were I saw the dead fish?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Something dead in the tank and rotting definitely makes things smell rotten, best to get those out immediately and if you notice one thats been there for awhile it's probably a good idea to do a water change just to be safe. Rotting things in the tank can foul the water pretty quick.

30% changes or so every week are better than a large one once a month. Even 50% every other week would probably be bare minimum. I'm surprised your nitrates aren't sky high? Or maybe they are?

If water is noticeably stinkier and not just an earthy normal tank smell then yea, its probably time for a water change.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
im just wondering why you left a dead fish in the tank for 4 days?
anyways, just do a water change today, if it still smells horrible, do one tomorow. all should be back to normal soon

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Those all-in-one strips are good for a "quick test". But you can't beat an indicator liquid test. AquaPharmaceuticals makes a good one and you can't beat the price if you order it with other things at BigAls.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
It's better to get the liquid tests if you can but the strips will give you an idea of what your water params are. There are a couple of Master Test kits that have everything you need. If I were you, I'd do 50% wc for the next couple days to get rid of the foul water.

I don't use stress coat, is it a dechlorinator? If not, then yes you probably did kill off your good bacteria. Test your water as soon as you can because if you're starting a new cycle you'll need to do a lot more water changes.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yes stress coat is a dechlorinator. albeit one of the more expensive ones. I use Bigals generic version of stress coat as my dechlor and it seems to work quite well.

I agree with using the drip test kits, kind that have a test tube you fill with tank water and then add a reagent or two out of dropper bottles to test the water. They are overall more accurate and easier to read, as well as cost less per test. I've never really heard anything GOOD about the dip strip tests.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
SANND said:
It's better to get the liquid tests if you can but the strips will give you an idea of what your water params are. There are a couple of Master Test kits that have everything you need. If I were you, I'd do 50% wc for the next couple days to get rid of the foul water.

I don't use stress coat, is it a dechlorinator? If not, then yes you probably did kill off your good bacteria. Test your water as soon as you can because if you're starting a new cycle you'll need to do a lot more water changes.
dechlorinator kills bacteria? even something like prime?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
nealio said:
dechlorinator kills bacteria? even something like prime?
Naw, she was saying that if he put in stress coat and IF it was NOT a dechlor, then he could have killed off his bacteria. Not killing your bacteria (and your fish) is the reason you use a dechlor, so no, it doesn't kill bacteria. :)