stock for a 55 gallon tank

Feb 5, 2009
Ok, so I'm new on here and I'm planning on buying a 55 gallon tank next weekend. It's going to have live plants and driftwood. I am going to get Java fern, Java moss, Anubias, Anacharis, and Wisteria. If I used all those plant types, about how many of each should I get to have a moderately planted aquarium?

I know for sure that I am going to have 3-4 catfish and would love some angelfish. How would you suggest to stock the rest of the tank? Obviously I am going to have a tropical aquarium and would prefer smaller fish versus larger fish.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
well catfish and angels aren't necessarily small fish but for the rest Id get a big school of tetras or rasboras. All those plants are low-moderate light so make sure you have at least 1.5 watts per gallon. Also don't get fish until the tank is cycled.

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
I too am beginning to set up a 55 gallon, or at least thinking about it. I agree with the big school. What kind of catfish are you talking about?

About your plants, I think you'd need a good amount to have a moderately planted 55g. It's a big area to cover, and on top of that I'm pretty sure the fern and anubias are really slow growers. Where I live, anubias are pretty expensive too, so filling in space with those either takes forever or loads of money. Someone else could say more about anacharis and wisteria. good luck and make sure to take pics so we can see :)

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I've had java fern grow quite fast. Wisteria also does, with most of those they could grow well and then need dividing, I found myself getting rid of so much wisteria because it grew so well.

It depends what catfish you get. If you get a shoal of around 6 cory cats you'll be fine. You could get a couple of angels but I wouldn't go for too many in a 55, I've had some serious territory problems in the past. Angels work best in either twos or large groups so a pecking order can be established - in a group of three, should the other two pair, the remaining fish will be picked on.

I agree with above, a shoal of tetras would be nice, perhaps 20? But I'd ALWAYS get the tetras first and the angels last, and buy the angels small, or they won't hesitate in eating tetras should they be small enough to fit in its mouth.

And finally I second what unwritten law said, read up on cycling your tank properly, someone else on here will be able to provide a good link with some decent information on how to do this to avoid any stress to your new fish when they're eventually bought.

have fun with the tank :)

Feb 5, 2009
I think I am going to get about 6 cory cats, but I am rethinking getting angelfish. I think I would rather get more smaller fish than them.

Thanks for reminding me about cycling the tank, I have been doing a bunch of research to make sure I do it right.

I have a little while before I am going to actually get my fish, but I'll keep you updated.:)

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I would do two schools in a tank that size... One large would also look cool but if you choose your colors right two schools against each other could looks good also. Some tetras can be a bit nippy but in a school it shouldn't be a problem. I would try and stay away from neons and some other less hardy tetras like rummey noses. They look great but can be a bit less hardy. Its really up to preference if your starting with a peaceful schooling fish as what you plan to add first.

Jun 21, 2008
At the LFS that I go to they keep the rummy nose and the cardinal tetras in the same tank, and it looks pretty awesome because they both school pretty tight and the colors are a good contrast to each other. I know cardinals can be sensitive, don't know much about rummy noses (unwritten says they're sensitive too), but it might be worth thinking about.