Stocking 2.5g tank?

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well I have a very small hex tank that I believe is 2 or 2.5 gallons. I plan on moving a couple plants in this tank along with some of the pond snails that I find in my 10 gallon. What fish could I put in a small tank like this? Would a betta really be my best and only option?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Personally, I would shrimp it up :p. If you are going to plant it you could put a good number of little shrimp in there and make a very interesting piece to a room- I am in fact thinking of doing this next year maybe with a little hex and plants from my current 20G. Myself I am thinking of doing it really cheap- ghost shrimp, normal gravel I already have, small 2-5G hex tank.

You could also go to out shrimpy sponsor and get like some red cherry shrimp or something. Anyway that's just my two cents- I would love to see a little planted hex shrimp tank.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
How many shrimp do you think would do well in a small hex like this?

I think I will also be using this tank for fry if there are any in the future. I would love some red cherry shrimp though!

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
from what I have heard it is sort of like breeding guppies lol.

IMO I would say you could fit about 10 shrimp in there, depending on what kind you get. I would, myself, do something like 15 ghost shrimp, or ten amanos or red cherries, or 7-8 flower shrimp, and any combo of that. I do not have much experience with shrimp, just the three amanos I have, but As I guess that is what I'd probably do.

But to know for sure, just start slow, same as with fish. Add a few and watch water p-rams. If they stay at a low trate level for a long time then try adding more, and so on and so forth :).

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Sounds like a plan. I will have to look at my tank to see exactly what it has with it. It has just been kinda sitting around for at least 10 years but I don't see why I shouldn't have it running lol. I don't think it has any kind of filter but just an air stone in it. I will have to dig it out tomorrow and see what I have and what I need.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
You can buy little mini filters made for betta bowls they work perfectly for a little 2G hex. The biggest trouble I'm having with mine is finding a tiny heater for it.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It may have a heater with it already. I can't really remember exactly what is with this tank haha. I'm going to be digging it out shortly and then looking to see what I need to pick up for this tank to get it up and running.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
I've been thinking along the same lines (I may want to keep my 2.5G QT tank running once I get my fish out of QT).

But, I have to ask: is it really a good idea to cycle with shrimp? Or, do y'all have something else in mind? Shrimp, and invertebrates in general, are among the most sensitive when it comes to water parameters, I thought.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Let us know how it goes. We're thinking about using the 2G for shrimp... or frogs we haven't really decided. I pulled some of the plastic plants out of the 10G and put them in there and dropped an old filter cart. in there too filling it up with some nice bacteria to help it move along. It seems to be settling nicely.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Shrimp tend to do better in a planted tank as there is generally more algae, debris, and infusoria for them to eat, as well as just being happier in a natural environment. Not saying shrimp can only be in a planted tank, but I just thought I'd give a heads up of what they prefer.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I will you know how things go with this tank. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it. I was initially going to set it up to hold some snails and maybe a betta but I'm loving the idea of getting some shrimp for it instead (I'm getting rid of the snails anyway). I think with such a small tank and if I get one of the 10w lights of america lights for the tank I will have enough lighting for most plants. I may just make it a mini version of my 10g tank.

So many decisions haha :D

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think 10 cherry shrimp would be way too much for a small tank like this. I had a breeding cherry shrimp tank that was a 2.5, and the most I could really keep in there was about 8 small ones. They do need room to grow and molt and the like. I think a betta tank with a frog is a good option. You could also try a few shrimp and a betta.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
You could probably do a pair of frogs too. And then you won't need to get an external filter so long as you're good about water changes. You'll only have to worry about making sure it has heat.