Stocking a 115 Gallon FW

MidSSouth

Large Fish
Mar 18, 2005
Memphis, TN
I am thinking of a new bigger tank. I was looking into a saltwater setup but I'm not sure if I am into all the maintenance. What are some large colorful freshwater fish that would go well together in a 115gallon 48x18x31 ? Do you think that bala sharks would be too big? Can more than 2 angels co-exist? What would you recommend.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
In a 115 I dont see a problem in doing a Bala Shark. But keep in mind how big they get...you dont anyhting with it that will become lunch! I think maybe a Bala and some Tiger Barbs would be kind of neat! Or instead of doing big fish you could do a couple different single fish and a few big schools of something! Just a few ideas. Best advice: Be Creative (But Safe for the fish). Good Luck!!

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Hi there, well...I can tell you if you want some really colorful fish, I just stocked my 100 gal. tank with 4 good sized Discus fish plus the other ones listed in my sig. They are very slow moving, peaceful fish and look like they could glow in the dark...I have a post under Discus if you want to see some pics of them...

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Id do africans. They are a bit large depending on what you get and come in alot of stunning colors, and have great personality.

Saltwater mantainance isnt too difficult depending on what you do and how simple or complex your system is, and its very rewarding so if you decide to go that road... ;)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2005
Mirror Alberta Canada
hello

I have 7 lrg angels 4" to 6" in a 140 gal and besides pushing over territory their fine. They grew up in a 55 gal . Ihave several types of gouramies ,a 14" fire eel,8 tiger barbs a brown ghost knife and a pleco in the 140. Find what you like and go with it. Elaphant noses are very coolfish. Balas should be kept in groups of three and get to 12 ". very peaceful fish and should work in a 125gal if you don't add to many other fish. 1" per gallon.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
MidSSouth said:
I am thinking of a new bigger tank. I was looking into a saltwater setup but I'm not sure if I am into all the maintenance. .
Discus are more work that SW IMHO. I am actually thinking about converting my 55 discus to salt. You could do angels for sure. Bala's get big if you can keep them alive for the time it would take for one to get fully grown. Just cover the tank cause they jump when scared. With 115 gallons you could do just about anything.