Stocking a 40gallon

rennocneb

Medium Fish
Oct 10, 2003
Visit site
Hi i have a 40 gallon reef tank im currently using only live rock for filtration. I have a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe skimmer two aquaclear 402 powerheads and about 45pounds of fiji live rock in the tank along with 40 pounds agra-live live sand. i have been told that this should be good filtration for this tank but it just goes against what ive learnt in freshwater systems. So is this truly enough filtration and if so what type of bioload could i support. Would it help to add a wet/dry filter or canister filter? Also looked into a 15gallon sump with sand and rock if that would help any advice would be appreicated.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
this is definitely enough filtration...most of what you learn in FW does not apply to SW

can always add the sump, its a nice way to hide equipment and run a refugium if you want, but it is not necessary

its difficult to say what you can support, it depends on what size of fish you want and what their territorial tendencies are, but you can certainly support a fairly good number of small fish

rennocneb

Medium Fish
Oct 10, 2003
Visit site
well i know i definatley want to look inot a percula clown and i currently have two blue yellow tailed damsels. This tank was setup using about 20pounds of sand and 25pounds of rock from a tank that had been running sucessfully for over a year. Im wondering if the two fish i have are enough to keep all my live rock going whether its safe to add a small clown to the tank at this time or wheter i should wait. The tank has been running 2 weeks and ammonia has never went up nor has nitrite currently nitrates are 0 as well best i can tell from the test kit.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
sounds like the established rock took care of the cycle so you should be able to add the clown but you might have trouble with the damsels and the clown. the damsels are probably going to harrass almost anything you put in the tank