Stocking a 58 gallon or 72 gallon

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I am in the process of upgrading and wanted to know what are my options with stocking fish? How many can I keep? At present there is this guy selling a 58 gallon RR oceanic tank with stand, canopy, 20 G sump and even plumbing for $400. It does not come with pump and lights. I don't know if it is a good deal or not.

Should I get it or just spend $300 more and get a brand new 72 gallon RR AGA tank and stand only? I have only limited space in my room I am thinking of getting the 58 gallon RR which is 36" L meaning less money then a 48" metal halides. I have a bak pak 2 skimmer which should work on the 58 gallon as they are rated for 60 gallon tank?

So what should I do and what are my stocking options. Specific names of fish would be great.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The 58g doesn't sound like an awesome deal... go check out how much the lights for it would be. Also check out how much it would be new...

Also, since it's only 3 feet long you would be limited on the size of fish you could get in it, and the amount of fish (it probably has around half the real swimming area of a 72g bow). Really, the skimmer would also work in a 72g if it wasn't heavily stocked. But, if the 58g fits where you want it and you don't really have room for the 72, there's no reason to go bigger if you won't be happy with it.