Stocking and everything I need for a 36G tank.

Apr 29, 2011
Hi gang,
This is my first post as a complete n00b to running a fish tank. Last night my little girl wanted a gold fish after going to the dentist (Yep, she likes watching Finding Nemo).

I ending up getting her a 1/2 Gallon Marina Betta Kit (but she didn't want a Betta) so it has 1 gold fish in it (I'm not sure of the gold fish species... I'll find out).

While at the store we may have also picked up an Aqueon 36 Gallon Bow front start kit (includes light, filter for 40 Gallons and heater - 200 W I think). I washed out the tank (with just a cloth and water) and rinsed off the filter, heater, lid and all the goodies for the inside (a couple of fake plants, the stones and a fake log). then started the heater and pump once the water was full and added Bacteria Supplement and then 30 minutes later added the Water Conditioner.

I was planning on waiting until the weekend to get some fish but I'm getting lost as to what I should be getting...

-First is there anything else I should get for the tank (airstone, other water care solutions, etc)

-Second How long should I wait before introducing fish? From what I've been reading I should introduce a whole bunch at the same time either, is that correct?

-Third how do I determine how many fish is the right number... I've read some posts about volume of water while others talk about surface area... I've also read about getting a good mixture of top middle and bottom swimmers?

Any information would be helpful and I'm really looking forward to making this 36 Gallon a starter tank and moving to a Salt water tank in the future.

Thanks

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Welcome!
You will probably be getting a lot of advice, so I will start. This is a pretty decent article with a good basis:
Fishless Aquarium Cycle
I would also recommend a book: "The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" by David E. Boruchowitz who has many years of experience. The book is easily available on Amazon, both new and used. I have never done a fishless cycle due to the main fact that I have never been able to find pure ammonia. The bottle may say "pure" or "clear" but the details usually state "surfactant or perfume". So just beware if you go that route. Secondly (you may already be very aware) be sure your tank is level - both side to side and front to back. My first tank was nice and level side to side and when I filled it I realized I forget the front to back and had to bail all the water! Good Luck & Enjoy!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi, welcome to the forum! Not sure what kind of gold fish you have, but the 1/2 gallon tank is likely way too small for the guy. If you can distract your daughter with the bigger tank, I'd suggest taking that fish back to the store.
But as to your 36g:
First, definitely familiarize yourself with the cycling process. This is crucial.
If your Bacteria Supplement actually works, you can add a few fish right away. However, many people say that if the product wasn't refrigerated from the time of packing, the bacteria colonies have died off and the product is useless. Others have used such products successfully. What is the name of the one you have?
Whichever way you get your tank cycled, add fish slowly. In terms of numbers, it really depends on the type of fish. A good tool is a site called AqAdvisor: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
It is not perfect, but a good place to play around with stocking ideas. You can also run your ideas by us here - we'd be happy to chime in.
An essential aspect of keeping fish successfully is testing the water parameters - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are key. Pick up your own test kit - you will use it frequently. Don't rely on a fish store to test your water for you!
Cheers,
Laura

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks Laura! I used the TopFin for both the Water Conditioner and Bacteria Supplement but neither was refrigerated... I'll make sure to pick up a test kit tonight, I just went and bought a thermometer and attached it to the outside of the tank so I can make sure of the proper temperature instead of trusting the "arrow" on the water heater :)

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yes, a thermometer is a must! Heaters can die, malfunction, etc. I don't know about TopFin - Tetra Safe Start seems to be one that works. You can try adding a couple of fish, and hope the TopFin product is doing what it says it will - but if you have added it, and left the tank without any fish, the bacteria will likely have died off.

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks again everyone for the links and posts! So I've had a thermometer on the outside of the tank for 4+ hours and it looks to be green at the 76 (24) mark. For now I bought the 5 in 1 test strips and with the tank running for almost 24 hours with just the tap water (and the above products from last night) I read the following.

GH: between 60-120
KH: 80
PH: 7.0-7.5
N02 & N03 both look like 0

I might start to look for Tetra SafeStart as I've had a hard time finding ammonia. Did I read that right that I add SafeStart 2 hours before getting the fish and that I should only add 1 fish per 10 gallons (round up and say 4) and that I should only introduce 1 new fish a week?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
All I can add is to read the product's instructions. I haven't used it, but I have read many posts from people that have and the drift seems to be that the ones that follow the products specific instructions are satisfied and the ones that go their own way or start mixing ideas have problems. I suspect you can also call the company if you have questions. BTW, the strips are considered by many to be not as accurate as the liquid, but having experience with test strips for medical purposes the way they are handled is a key point. Keep them clean and dry - no moisture, keep the container tightly closed, your hands clean & dry and don't touch the testing portion. I have read posts from users that handled them properly and compared them with the liquid and found no difference. In the long run I think you find the liquid less expensive.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
If your daughter still wants a Goldfish, you can easily put 3 Fancy Goldfish, like Fantails, Black Moors, Ryukins, Orandas, etc, in that tank. Then, if cared for properly, your Goldfish can live for 10-25 years!! Plus, you don't have to buy a heater. Mwuhahaha!!! << That's what she's doing. I have a 30 gallon tank and I'm putting a Black Moor Goldfish, a Red & White Ryukin Goldfish, and about 6-12 White Cloud Minnows in that tank. No heaters required, but ultimate beauty. Also, you might want to over filter your tank if you're going overstock it. For a 36 gallon, you might want to get a filter suited for a 50 gallon tank IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2011
Back again! Thanks for all the great info and idea's from everyone.

So we ran the tank fishless for 36 hours then added
2 Sunburst Platy
2 Red Wing Platy
I couldn't find any pure ammonia so I got some Bacteria Supplement and I followed it's instructions to a T so far.

I've been reading the fishless and fish tank cycling and I have some questions 5 in 1 test strips I picked up read the following almost everyday it's been the same since introducing the fish.

GH 60-120
KH 80-120
PH 7.0-7.5
N02 0ish
N03 0ish

With the N02 and N03 looking like they are both staying around 0 would it be ok to add a few more fish in about a week or should I wait the full 4-6 weeks even if they are staying at a low level?

two other questions the temperature is staying around the right level but the heater looks like it's filling with water is that OK or Normal?

second the water seems a little cloudy is that ok with the above readings (it's been that way since adding the Bacteria and fish.

Thanks again everyone!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Your water probably will be a little cloudy with the bacteria you put in. You need to see some NitrAte when your tank is cycled. So I would wait before putting any more fish in. You don't mention the reading for ammonia. What brand of Bacteria did you use. So far the only one I've heard anyone claim success with is Tetra Safe Start. (I have not use any of them). If that heater is brand new, I would certainly ask the store about it. I can't imagine there should be water inside - as far as I know water and direct contact with a heating element is not good - maybe I am wrong.