Stocking plan for cycling 10 gallon

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
I started cycling my 10 gallon today which of course means i'm now thinking about what to put in it. I want to put 4 serpae tetras in it and i'm thinking about moving my dwarf gourami from my 55 into my 10. Would that work? I was also thinking about getting some cories, but i've heard that they need to be in groups of 4-6. Do i have room for that many in my 10?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
If i leave the dwarf gourami in my 55, would there be room for some other kinds of cories? Knowing the LFS' in my area, i doubt i'd ever be able to find pgmys...

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Or panda cories, they stay small. But, I'm not sure how well they'd do with serpae tetras since the tetras are so nippy. I just got some panda cories which were in a tank with serpaes in the store, and they have chewed up dorsal fins. I'm also not sure if the gourami would be able to stand up to the tetras. They'll be extra nippy if they're in a smaller school. Your plan would work better with one of the other small tetras that isn't so nippy, like cardinals, neons, black neons, lemons, flames, x-ray, silver tip, etc.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Anyone know any fish that would be okay with serpaes in a 10 gal? I absolutely love serpaes and i plan on eventually getting an angel for my 55, thus no serpaes in there.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Kuhli loaches? I would think that serpaes would ignore them, but I'm really not sure. Cherry barbs would *probably* work too, but then you've just got a lot of red.

Edit-or, if the tank is very well covered, a paradise fish would work well. They're quick, aggressive enough for serpaes, and stay small enough for a 10g.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
ooooh good idea on the paradise fish capslock...ill definitely have to think about that one. I like them and i know at some point my LFS has had one...now to just see if they'll get one again...