Stocking plans

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Here's what im thinking for the future of the tank, let me know what you guys think.. and in what order they should be added..

Powder Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Emperor Angel
Copperband
2x Clowns
2x Bangaii cardinals
Mandarin
Red scooter blennie

I don't think that will be to much of a load on the tank do you?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
That is a lot of fish when you start talking about the first four fish on your list fully grown. I would probably drop the emperor angel simply because it will grow to be the largest (1ft ish I believe)...but I have been known to understock...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes but the powder blue and yellow would be okay without the Emperor........I have to agree....that is a heavy load. Why not lose the Emperor and put in a nice shoal of wrasses or anthis? Eco/Lotus has some beauties for her tank that would look outstanding shoaling in that size of tank

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Because angelfish are nice, and better 'pet' fish than any number of wrasse or anthias.......

But I think this lot would make life difficult for the comparatively timid copperband.As this isn't going to be a reef , how about an auriga instead?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
but of course.......I have heard of angel fish that are such good pets that they can be trained to fetch the paper and beg for a cookie......then again....knowing Jim, this is probably going to end up a reef some day so why not stock with that in mind? then again I could be wrong.

Had I but known what a territorial beggar my yellow tang was going to be....I would have opted for a more docile fish.....though he is colourful and spends all his time keeping everyone in check.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
im not gonna go full out reef but i do intend to keep a handful of corals.. nothing to fancy b/c i don't want to upgrade my lights any time soon.. if i do ill just put like 1 or 2 150mh in my canopy.. i just plan on having kenya tree, gsp, frogspawn or torch.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
You just have to see what works, I keep a variety of corals in with my decidedly 'not reef safe' puffer and butterfly. It's fan worms , clean up cres that really get eaten pretty quickly, and lps.