Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
in my 50g i currently have
2 clown fish
1 lawnmower blenny
1 six line wrasse
1 peppermint shrimp
1 pygmy angelfish

i want to add maybe another fish or two my question is would a royal gramma and a neon dottyback be a good mix? if not does anyone have anyother suggestions on some fish to add

Pasfur

New Fish
Jan 3, 2009
Louisville, KY
My 37 gallon reef has 2 Percs, 1 Six Line Wrasse, 1 Coral Beauty, and 1 Cleaner Wrasse. The Cleaner was my last additional to the tank and completed the display, in my opinion. It is difficult to find blue color in small fish, with the exception of the Damsels, so the Cleaner really balanced out the colors in the tank. I did not expect to like this fish, only buying it because my fiance wanted it, but it quickly became one of my favorites.

Our fish selections are similar, so I would think you'd have similar success.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Cleaner wrasses are really bad choices for a few reasons - they have poor survival in aquariums as they need to eat paraites off fish to live. They are also critical to the ecosystem in the oceans and shouldn't be removed (one of the few fish that affects the entire ecosystem when removed for the fish trade).

However, I strongly recommend neon blue gobies. They stay tiny (1.5-2"), get along with everything (including most other gobies and each other if added together), and are a lot of fun to watch. They perch a lot, and also swim in the water column. Plus, they are usually tank bred, eat most everything, and aren't shy at all. They are also a cleaner (though mine never cleaned anything). I believe they are reef safe as long as they aren't breeding. There is also a gold variety.

You would have room for a royal gramma and one or two neon gobies, if you wanted.

Pasfur

New Fish
Jan 3, 2009
Louisville, KY
Cleaner wrasses are really bad choices for a few reasons - they have poor survival in aquariums as they need to eat paraites off fish to live.
You are obviously extremely experienced, and I'm asking you take my word that I am also. So, i'm just trying to reach an educated agreement on this.

Here are links to an article that I personally wrote some 10-15 years ago: The Future of Saltwater Fishkeeping - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
Selecting Saltwater Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
These are nothing special, but should make you understand my passion for only keeping fish that are capable of thriving in captivity. Again - just trying to establish some credibility as a new member.

My understanding is that Cleaners eat parasites, but also feed on copepods, amphipoids, etc. They were difficult to keep in the days before live rock and DSB systems were widespread, but this is not the case today.

So, I started looking for evidence to support my belief. I tried to turn to the AMDA, who used to publish a list online of fish that were impossible or extremely difficult to keep in captivity. I can't find this list, and can't find evidence that the AMDA is still an active organization.

Do you have any resources to suggest?

Pasfur

New Fish
Jan 3, 2009
Louisville, KY
I can't find the attachment. Perhaps it is my being new on this forum... or did you forget to attach.

I agree Fenner is an excellent source :)

I wish I could get my hands on that AMDA list. American Marinelife Dealers Association. Tullock was the founder, if i recall. It was a great list. I will get searching.

Pasfur

New Fish
Jan 3, 2009
Louisville, KY
I found it. {bangs head against wall}

Very good article. We need to share this sort of information more as a hobby. It is amazing to me the species that are offered for sale that rarely survive long in the aquarium. On a similar note, it is amazing the number of fish which are capable of surviving that are placed in environments to small to thrive in.

I wonder why mini-reefs are politically correct?

My particular species is the blue cleaner, for which Bob states: "If you want to "practice" on cleaner wrasses, the blue, black and white lined Labroides dimidiatus is the one species that seems more facultative."

I have had the fish for 4 months, so hopefully my luck will be more long term. Thanks for the link. I will stop recommending the species.

Last edited:

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
thanx for the link lorna. still cant decide what fish i want to get for my tank i would love a yellow tang but i know a 50g is too small for one so im thinking one of either of the following:
-royal gramma
-2 benggai cardinals
- 3 chromis
im stumpped...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The royal gramma is a nice looking relatively docile shy fish.......bangaii cardinals are great, just make sure if getting more than one you have a mated pair, and as a side note, they will spawn and you may be fortunate enough to have babies, I did. The chromis are nice and will school, should be purchased in a group of odd numbers minimum of 3. They are members of the damsel family but don't seem to be as aggressive and mean.