Stocking Questions

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay I have some stocking questions after having made the grand chromis error.....this is my plan

Currently have 2 percula clowns
want to add:
1 small yellow tang
1 six line wrasse
1 yellow watchman gobie along with 1 pistol shrimp

some other peaceful type fish such as
1 royal gramma or
1 orchid dottyback
and
bangaii cardinals a group if possible? or if unable to locate tank bred maybe
pyjama cardinals?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I had heard otherwise that the six line was one of the wrasses that is reef safe? though I wouldn't mind something that would eliminate a few hermits being as how they are murder and mayhem with the snails.......

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I had one and I had 20 or so snails and even with feeding they were all gone in about 4 days!! They are NOT reef safe. At least I didnt have any luck. I was told that he would be fine too but he wasnt. He also started harrassing (sp?) my anenomie (which resulted in my clown and him having battles) and my plate coral!! We had to strip the tank down to catch him. It was a mess. I wouldnt advise it Lorna.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
thanks for the advice. I wish someone had been that honest with me when I contemplated and got those chromis. I will probably look for something along the gobie or blennie line.....nice and quiet.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Try a fairy wrasse (lots of types) instead of a sixline. They are in fact reef safe. And very community safe/peaceful.

Do you have empty shells in the tank for the hermits to move into? That should be the only reason they'd attack a snail... for the shell.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no I have seen them attack red legs just to shell jack the inhabitant. I would never trust them......I need something to sift and clean the sand but I don't want any stars or cukes.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My 6 line is perfectly reef safe, very few people have problems with that, however they can be very, very territorial so I too would go for a Cirrhilabrid wrasse. Also either of these will scrap with most of the more aggressive dottybacks so I would try hard to get a captive bred dotty as they are far elss aggressive (they should be relatively easy to source).

Unless you get a m/f pair of banggaiis you will not find them to be that peaceful and they will 'eliminate' each other...

Also check out a coral beauty...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I had heard that the coral beauty wasn't really reef safe as it likes to nip on clam mantles and corals. I do wonder if my tank will support gobies.....I do have a deep sand bed with lots of activity in it. I want something to keep the sand clean without getting a star or cuke.