Stocking Strategy for New Tank

Jun 27, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I'm busy doing a fish-in cycle of my 70g tank with 5 Danios and 4 Tiger Barbs. At this stage, I want to begin planning a long term stocking strategy, to be implemented gradually after the cycling is complete, and need a bit of help with this.

As background:
a) For filtration I have a Fluval 404 and a Marineland Hot 250 Magnum. The total filtration capacity is about 140G I believe. Not that I plan to overstock, I just like the idea of extra filtration capacity. I have a lot of cover in the form of plastic plants (I will be adding some real plants later), large rocks and wood. Plenty of hiding places. I have "regular" size gravel, and am thinking about adding sandy areas for loaches. I do have very short plastic grass covering the open areas. It looks great, but is a bit "spikey" and I have a concern that it may be unsuitable for bottom dwellers.

b) I should also mention that my tank is warm. In the summer, the house's temperature is about 26C (79F), so its not abnormal for the water to reach 28C (82F). In the winter the heater will kick in to keep the temp constant. What I'm saying is that my tank will be running at the warmer edge of the spectrum.

I'll start off by mentioning my favourite kinds of fish (with no regard to compatibility), and I'd really appreciate it if you could suggest options taking compatibility in mind. Please suggest other species because my list is only a starting point.

1)Clown Loaches. I absolutely love these fish and consider these a must have - everything else needs to be compatible with them. Any other loaches recommended, because I really like this category in general?

To follow through on the plastic grass and sand. Should I remove the grass? Is there a low growing, spreading grass that would look good in the open, front area of the tank? How about creating some sandy area's - may be good for the loaches?

2) Cory catfish - a big variety. I like them, but dont want too much competition for space at the bottom (with loaches).

3) Shrimp - never kept them before, but they sure add interest.

4) Algae eaters (Otos are sometimes mentioned as good, busy housecleaners). Obviously I wont rely on these to keep the tank clean, but they may help with housekeeping. I don't want any plecs (too big).

5) Middle dwelling, active, tight-schooling fish. I currently have Tiger Barbs, and I'm unsure about their overall compatibility with community tanks. I like them, but have a concern about fin-nipping. Any other suggestions, because I can return them if necessary? Harlequin Rasbora's come to mind, although they are not the most colourful.

6) Gourami's - another category that I like. Amazing colours. I would love to attempt breeding, but I realise this is difficult in a community tank. Perhaps a few peaceful cichlids? Some tetra's (e.g. long finned red tetra's, neons, etc) would be good too.

7) Top dwelling, active, tight-schooling fish. Since I started with Danios, perhaps a few more.

As may be obvious, generally I like colourful fish although I don't have much interest in livebearers such as platty's and guppies.

On a final note, if you know of links to an encyclopedia of fishes, where I can continue my research, please share.

Sorry for the looooong post. Eagerly looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
try aqadvisor.com when you get an idea of what fish you want. it can help with the basics of getting your tank together. barbs tend to be more aggressive, so you want to stick with fish that can handle themselves with the barbs. Keep an eye on the danios and the barbs together. Loaches get pretty big, and as I understand it, like groups, so keep that in mind. Gourami should really be kept in singles, as even a male/female pair can get aggressive with each other (having that problem with my pearl pair recently, which is prompting an upgrade) If you do get gourami, stay away from the smaller tetra species as they are natural prey for gourami. Danios come in some pretty color varieties these days, so you can add to the danio school. The giant ones, while not overly colorful, can be flashy as they have more of the blue/grey to show off. Shrimp will be eaten by most of the fish species you are looking at, so unless you get the larger bamboo shrimp, I'd stay away from the shrimp. Semi-aggressive rules out the prettier large tetra types, as they would stress from them. There are other varieties of tiger barb - green, albino... that could add color and punch to your tank.
Good luck and keep us in the loop ;)

Sep 5, 2011
New Jersey
your looking at a semi aggressive tank, from a stocking perspective. for gouramis, only one per tank, and id stay away from the dwarf gouramis and go towards the larger types (blue, gold, opaline, etc.).

There are larger, semi aggresive tetras you could do with the barbs and gourami. Serpae tetras, snow tetras, black skirt tetras, colombian red fins, etc.

An electric blue jack dempsey would be awesome, and would be fine with the gourami in a 70g tank.

Youo could probably try various rainbow fish. Theyre large, colorful, though much more peaceful than barbs. They can be a tad pricey, but look amazing and may be worth while.

And of course, there are so many types of barbs. There are the different types of tiger barbs, black ruby barbs, odessa barbs, rosey barbs, and more.

Personally, i like using liveaquaria.com.
Best of luck.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have had many of both at the same time and the Electric JD is a little less aggressive but I would not say its docile enough to be with a community fish. There are some exceptions as I have kept goldfish feeders that survived the Oscars and the JD's tanks for years but that is rare to happen. I called them my Ninja Gold fish LOL. I would not say under normal circumstance that its ok to keep cichlids with community fish just as I would not advise one keep goldfish with Oscars or JD's. Sure is possible but the chance of failure are much higher then success. Healthy tanks need to mimic the state that they are in nature and be as stress free as they can so our pets are happy. I am not trying to say one cannot put the JD in there and have a successful tank its just not likely nor very fair to the fish if it does not work. Healthy and successful tank are normally tanks with like tempered fish.
Maybe all the Electric JD's I had were just mean because they were with regular JD's.

Sep 5, 2011
New Jersey
ive found the electric blues to be quite timid. they dont bug anything that isnt a cichlid and cant fit in their mouth. that being said, bite size tankmates may be at risk. at one point i had a large pair with 3 smaller EBJDs in a 125 with swordtails, a clown loach, and a couple small geophagus. the only thing they picked on were the smaller electric blues

Roland6543

Small Fish
Jun 27, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Well the TB are going back (they terrorised the danios)

This is my plan for stocking my tank.
I will phase in 1-2 species at a time and obviously I will need a larger tank once the loaches in particularly get large.
Please comment on possible issues you see with this combination and suggest better options:

4 Clown Loaches
6 Boesemans Rainbow Fish
5 Killifish
1 Keyhole Cichlid
1 Angelfish
1 Cockatoo
10 Harlequin Rasbora

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I would watch out with the rasbora being so small compared to the rest of the fish... and the killifish... I don't know much about cockatoos or keyholes, but aren't they both cichlids? they might have problems with each other... Angels can be quite cranky... i like the rainbow idea, the killifish & the rasboras... dunno... hope someone more helpful stops by...