Stoned Snails..

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey guys. Woke up this morning, saw my tank, my corals n' fishes looked great, clear water and all...but...found 3 astreas on their back. I tough they felt because they are morons. I tried to make em stick to the glass...but they looked slow..and didn't stick long enough. Then i checked some powerheads...found tiny little snail shells..lot of 'em, encrusted on powerheads and shells were i have 2 frags. I remembered that when i gave my fat electric blue hermit, i had snails in return and they had those little shells on their own. I scrubed my bumble bee to remove it..but i guess i didn't removed them all.
I think they are parasites. I don't recall seing my nassarius and bumble bees since 2 weeks. Only astreas/turbos. It's spreading faster than coralline, sticking everywhere. My question is : are those little bastards gonna kill my snails or should i remove anything possible in my tank and scrub it ??
Sure i'm not the only one who has this. Pretty unpleasant.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i had two tiny tiny white snail looking things come in on the bottom of my turbo snail--now there are like 6 on the bottom of him (these might be the same as yours)
could it be copper poisoning? i had a couple of astreas die from a possible copper poisoning when i still used tap water in my water changes

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Mhhh...i guess i don't see the relation between new tiny snails and poisoning.
Those little bastards now are glued on some LR, powerheads..
Mine were introduced by bumble bees. I noticed a bristleworm ( tough i never had some ) on a Turbo snail shell yesterday. I promptly removed it. Argh..i removed the beast that kills those tiny creatures. My nassarius snails are gone..still i found a bumble bee this morning...a month without seeing it.
My other snails are fine for now.

Found that on wetwebmedia.com : Parasitic snails stuck to Marine Turbo 12/3/03
I've attached a photo of one of my snails against the Plexiglas. A couple of these snails ( Turbo ? ) have tiny shells attached to their shells. Could these be yet another type of snail living on my snail.
<arghh... these are parasitic snails preying on your larger Gastropods>
I doubt that these snails have enough maternal instinct to carry there young around. I am so confused.
<they are clearly parasitic to me. Manually remove the small snails when you see them with tweezers. They will wane in time>
Thanks, Edward.
<best regards, Anthony>
----------

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i was pointing out your snails could have been killed by copper--with no relationship between your parasite like snails and the copper--sorry if i confused ya
the tiny snails in your photo do not match what i have in my tank--so i'm out of ideas

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
hey thanks for that little snippet from wwm--it turns out my turbo had 20 on the bottom of its shell, all in different sizes
i'm glad i was able to eliminate them before they caused any noticable problems--i'll have to start checking my other snails now