Stones

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Gosh, it sounds like it would take up your entire tank.

I would rinse it under hot water and brush it with steel wool to get any loose bits off then let it dry completely before putting it in your tank.

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
i would just wash it off in really hot water for along time. ive heard scrubbing it in bleach really cleans it well (of course rinse it with clean water after) but i have never tried it out. as for making java moss grow on it, the best way is to get a black thread, and wrap it on there with that. a rubber band will work but more of a hassle, not to mention an eyesore. anyways, the black thread will rot away after a while and u wont have to worry about removing it (unlike a rubber band) and messing up the scape. it takes a couple weeks to actually grow onto the rock. good luck

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I usually boil my rocks. It kills everything on the rock and while boiling, it removes dust and all impurities from the rock. If you have something you can boil the rock in. it that would be the best i think. You could give it a good scrubbing before you boil it. Well thats what I do.

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
James From Cali said:
Yeah see I have the rock and I measured it and it is about 6-9 inches. I am going to boil water and dump it into the sink and s3t the rock into the water since I dont have a large enough pot. I think I have blakc thread around here somewhere!
that maybe a pain, because the water will cool off so quickly. u can also try getting the biggest pot u have and just turning the rock on each side so half is in water half is out then switch it. know what i mean. but then agian u still need a decent size pot, like 5 in. deep or so.

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
James From Cali said:
Well I found 2 smaller rocks that I am going to wedge the plant in between, is that alright?
it may cause a little mess in the begining but if theres not too much current everything should settle fine. i dont think u will get the all over growth that u probably want, but it would work. i would use the thread if u can, if not wedging it between two rocks will work it just takes more trimming and more time to completely cover the rock.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Boiling is a PITA and it's really unecessary if you let the rock dry out completely. Fill the kitchen sink up with hot water, dunk the rock in, scrape it with a wire brush and set it aside to dry. Very simple see?

All my rocks and wood have been found in the woods or my neighborhood and I have never boiled them. And I've never had any problems :)

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
i was just goign to say that truckmuddr, i think that u have to scrape the rocks a bit, then put pure white vinegar on it and if it bubbles or foams, then its NOT safe