Strange Activity

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
I bought 2 Damsels and a Chormis. They have been in my tank for 24 hour and my tank has be setup for a week my salinity is 1.019. My fish are starting to act strange my chromis is swimming around on the bottom of the tank backwards and my demsals are group togather on the bottom just sitting. What could be causing them to not act so active as they where before? Could someone tell me what might be going on with them please.

Thanks in advance

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Hod did you acclimate them, how is your tank filtered. If your tank (how big?) is only a week old then it's still cycling. You could have damaged them with a big change in salinity , or it could be ammonia poisoning. More details on the tank please.
I wish people would stop selling/buying damsels to 'cycle' tanks, it's a stupid idea that should have died a long time ago.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
As Wayne asked, how did you acclimate the fish to your tank? It takes more than just sitting the bag in the tank for awhile, then opening it and letting the fish out.....too sudden a change in pH, salinity, temp, alk, etc....can really damage a fish.
Also, from your other post, do you understand why your salinity went up as time went by? Has anyone discussed evaporation with you and the need to "top off" your tank? Do you have any test kits?
Do you have or have you read any books on the subject of keeping a saltwater tank?
I'm just trying to figure out how much knowledge you have about this hobby.
Post back when you can!!:D

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Chances are it's either nitrite or ammonia given the tank is still cycling, a water change will help them out a bit. What kind of damsels are these?