Strange Brown algae

Dr_fish

Medium Fish
Jan 14, 2008
Canada
I have strange brown algae growing on my plants in my 10 gallon tank. I have tried removing the leafs and introducing otocinclus suckermouth cat and Japonica Amano Shrimp. I dont know what to do now. If someone could help that would be great

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
okay, well, I don't know too much about aquatic plants...But, if they are hardy plants and you got hardy fish, you might want to get like a algae remover medication... Also, get another opinion, again I'm not too sure...

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I do not believe medication is a good idea at all. I believe you are talking about diatoms. They are relatively harmless and nearly impossible to eradicate. However ottos and amano shrimp like ot eat it, and your hand with a cloth does a good job of removing it from tank walls. Generally it blooms and then disappears as the tank matures. Just keep removing it by hand and let your otto eat it- he'll love the stuff.

PS: A picture would help a lot in diagnosing what algae it really is.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Definitely don't add an algae remover. It will likely kill your shrimp and won't solve the problem in the long run.

Is it a smooth algae that comes off easily, or is it hairy and hard to remove?

If you could let us know what size tank, what the lighting is and what your fert regimen is, it would help, too :)

Dr_fish

Medium Fish
Jan 14, 2008
Canada
My tank is a 10 gallon, The algae comes off easily by hand, and is about 2mm long (Hairy), I have regular strip lights nothing special (2 Watts per gallon) , and my substrate use to contain Sea Chem pellits but it caused massive algae growth so its was removed. There is nothing special in my substrate at the moment. Even though my plants are doing just find exept for the infected leafs.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
This article might help you understand fertilizing a little better: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/aquatic-plants/33566-how-fertilize-planted-tank.html

It's the lack of a nutrient that causes algae, not an excess of one. Weekly water changes and weekly addition of a trace mix would be a good place to start. Once your fertilization is under control, the algae will start to disappear.

You most likely have some form of fuzz algae, perhaps covered with diatoms (brown algae).