Strange fish, feeding advice?

fishums

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2009
Okay so i rescued a few fish from a friend the other day. I say rescued because they were in a small 2 gallon tank that was only three fourths of the way full and extremely dirty. I got two fish. One is some kind of eel, I think its a dragon goby but im not sure. its about 5 or six inches long. The other is some kind of catfish but its real dark and don't have any spots or stripes on it. Its about 3 to 4 inches long and had short whiskers. Il try to get a picture of it soon but i think it might be a wild catfish. It looks a lot like something i would catch in my local rivers. It also has a huge mouth like that of a channel catfish. Anyway the point if this post is what should i be feeding these guys? The catfish seems to eat tropical flakes but im not sure if it gets enough. Should i try to feed it garden worms or something? As far as the eel goes the only thing he will eat is dried baby shrimp and possibly blood worms. Any suggestions?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
shrimp pellets by Omega one or Hikari.
Carnivorous catfish pellets by Hikari.
Could try a small garden worm for the cat if you really think its a baby bullhead or something.

I do not know much about the goby, sorry cant help there, but try carnivore food like the shrimp, frozen bloodworms, maybe live bloodworms and brine shrimp (live)

fishums

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2009
Well i have them in a 55 gallon long tank with 4 small african Cichlids, two small bala sharks, and a small pleco so its kinda hard to feed the catfish and eel anything special because the cichlids eat almost everything that touches the water. I have shrimp pellets by HBH that i feed to a blue crayfish i have set up in its own tank, do you think those would work? Also as far as the live shrimp thing goes would i just be able to get one of those brine shrimp hatchery kits? Ive seen them on the internet.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I've noticed that Brine Shrimp from fish stores is expensive. $16/lb.

Because Bluegills are carnivores and Catfish are vacuum cleaners I feed my fish uncooked shrimp that I buy from the market. It is raw, frozen. I get the larger sized ones, about 30 to a pound. Thaw them in a bowl of water and use scissors to cut them into small pieces.

I have a Sculpin in my Goldfish tank that is pretty much carnivorous, won't touch fish flakes. When I try to drop small bits of shrimp down to it (it lives on the bottom) many times the Goldfish eat it. Those Goldies are getting big because they are so well fed.

The only problem with feeding raw shrimp is you need to get any uneaten pieces out withing about 24 hours because it will start producing ammonia (dead animal).

I've been doing this for a while now. I also feed frozen/thawed bloodworms and even cheese, broken into small pieces. They like Kraft singles but that stuff is soft so I usually feed them string cheese. I try to rotate what I feed.

The guy at my LFS says to stay away from Earthworms as they contain a lot of "juice" that will foul the water if they don't eat the whole thing.

Just my opinion.