strange things

fishcrazy

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
I have a 55 gal sw tank. I have a 4-6 week new growth of white tube like things that have a blob as the base. I cannot find anything like it on line and they do not seem to be taking over at all. I just noticed that when I changed my filter cartriges they let out very long hair like strands. They stayed attached and there were several per tube. Anyone got any ideas. Also very new is that some of my rock seems to be heavily dusted with what looks like a pale biege powder and now my amonia up for reasons I cant figure out. No new fish, no dead fish, I cut back on feedings recently so I know its not overfeeding issue, 25% water change less than a week ago, I just don't know.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Peanut worms. They let out sticky feeder tentacles when there's debris in the tank to feed on. No worrys.

The algae sounds like diatoms. They require silicates to construct a shell. If you have a lot in your tapwater you'll be forced to use RO to get rid of them.

I'm not sure why your ammonia is testing up -what is your setup?

fishcrazy

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
All other parameters look great. And there have been no changes to the tank at all in awhile. But, I am being taken over by bright green and red algea. I can't get rid of it. I do frequent (every 2 weeks) 25% min water change and up untill the ich treatment i used a month or 2 ago I didn't have any trouble at all. Including algea. I only use water that comes from a commercial h2o machine at my local grocery store and have never ever used tap. Now, when I used that ich treatment the directions said to not do any h2o change untill treatment was complete and not to use filter pads. All together this was about 30 days. So I think this was ample time for unwanted debris to collect and cause me all these problems. You might remember I posted awhile back about unknown stuff in my tank. Never did get any concrete answers but since the stuff been under controll and not over populating, I just been letting it go. I have upped my h20 changes to try and get things back in order but I'm not sure thats helping. One thing though is that I do not run a protien skimmer at all because when I did my initial setup I seemed to get conflicting info so I went to Sacramento (Ca) and talked to an employee at a well established aquarium store who had experience with sw fish of his own and he said as long as I didn't run air stones or use aerration on my powerheads I didn't need one. Do I????