stress zyme product...is this ok?

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Im in the process of trying to cycle my tank without fish. I hear good things about Stress Zyme. Would be OK to add this product to my tank at this stage? Im eager to get the bacteria to grow.

Thanks

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
The only thing that will help cycle your tank faster is Biospira. Seeing as you're in the US you should be able to get this. It MUST be refridgerated though. Do not buy it if they don't have it refrigerated where you purchase it.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Unfortunitely I would say so.

How are you cycling your tank? Fish in? Fish out? What have you been doing and what perameters do you have now?

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
oh boy! dont ask. we have a 50 gallon very nice setpu and cycling for over a month with no change.
I think ammonia level was just way too hihg!
its fishless.
so I did a massive water change last night and now after that reading is 2ppm of ammonia, 0 nitrites. I havent done anything else with the tank.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Avoid the water changes if you're doing fishless cycling. Just keep adding ammonia every day. It'll happen eventually!
Or get the biospira.

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
im not adding anymore ammonia. i got in trouble when I added too much.
im afraid to add so much like last night that it reads well beyong 8ppm and for weeks that did not decrease. at least now its detectable and measurable levels.

Nov 20, 2007
I just wanted to add that my tank stalled for over a month (1ppm of Ammonia and Nitrite each, and 10ppm Nitrate) and the PH wasn't the problem (still over 8ppm). nothing worked, and while I know you have to be wary of cycling products, frankly, I got fed up and quite desperate. I wish Biospira was sold around here, but alas, the next best thing is the Stress Zyme. So, I figured, what the heck, why not try it? The worst that can happen is my tank still doesn't budge. So I added some, waited, and the next day the Ammonia was down to 0. I kept adding Ammonia back up to 4 (sometimes 6) and the levels were going back down to 0, though eventually it started slowing down again. So I added more Stress Syme, and it speeded back up again. Now I have fish swimming in there, and I'm happy (are you kidding me? I had that tank cycling from November 30 until only last week! That's ridiculous!). Granted, my bottle eventualy ran out (as it will) and I swear, the next bottle didn't work as effectively as the first (though it did work). I think it comes down to what you're willing to try and just how desperate you are. I agree that most, if not all (except Biospira) cycling products are just junk, but I think there really is something good about Stress Zyme. It's the poor-man's version of Biospira, lol

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
In parts of the world where you can't get Biospira (cause I work in one), I"m told we can get something very similar from septic companies (as they need to get the same ammonia killing bacteria) and it's dirt cheap. If I can find the name I'll let you know.

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Aussie Dog
Thats the problem we are having I think. I havent put any of these bacteria boosters until now cuz I was also desperate. People kept saying to wait, but after a good period of time, I didnt see any changes.
I added stress zyme a couple days ago and it does cloud my tank, and I *think* for the first time in history im seeing a small ammonia change, i plan to check it today to see. my nitrites have always been 0.
Actually nevermind, no change in ammonia and family member sbecoming hostile becauze of watching an empty tank for almost 2 months now.

Last edited: