Stressed

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Hey everyone,

Well my foxface is Stressed! (Capital S) Does anyone know of anything i can do that will kind of reduce the stress that she is in? I don't want to add any chemicals, but maybe something else.

She is eating alot (which is normal) but then after she eats she goes behind the liverock and hides and then 30 seconds later she comes out and eats again. Her color is very dull and blotchy aswell. at somepoint she is extremly blotchy, and he head is almost a bluish color.

All water paramaters are normal.

She wasn't like this when I first added her into the tank, she was fine, vibrant, colourful, eating, then after about the 2nd or 3rd day she started to get all blotchy.

Thanks all.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
are any of your other fish picking on her? that could be the problem .. im pretty new to the SW world my self but that's a suggestion.. im sure other people will chime in..
~ Jim

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
does the blue tang act as a dominatant fish in the tank (specificlly during feeding time?)

I wouldnt be surprised if the tang was bullying or being dominant and causing the added stress to the fox face.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Hey all,

not one fish is bullying another fish in my tank.The tang just started to come out of the rocks. she used to hide everytime someone came across the tank but now she is out and about and doesn't seem to be bothering anyone. Both her and the foxface are going after the seaweed that I leave in the tank. The clowns are off doing their own thing. They are always together. So no, no one is going after her or bothering her at all. Actually she is about 5 inches and all the other fish in the tank are about 1 - 1 1/5 inches. So she is definitly the bigger fish.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Mine was always terribly stressed - I tink patience is the key here, but you should certainly be prepared to wait for anything up to a couple months for nervous fish to really settle

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Also, is your tank in a high traffic area? Mine is and it took my yellow tang forever to adjust, even now hides out when people approach the tank though doesn't hide when people walk by any more.........that is often the cause of their stress....until they settle in.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Well i have the tank set up in my living room. Usually it's my husband or myself who walk by, but thats about it. And we don't normally walk by all the much anyways. I figured he was just stressed and will probably need some time to get settled and relax a little bit.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Bizarrely fish in high traffic areas get so used to people going by they usually settle down. I have a tank in my basement , and people go in there so infrequently the fish are always surprised

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
exactly once they get used to the traffic they are not skittish as much. I am sure the dog's ball hits the stand or tank at least once a week......thank goodness it is a nerf ball but just the same......