striped ralpheal catfish?

Jul 22, 2006
The link that Tubby posted isn't available anymore. I love having the Striped Raphaels. They are very easy to take care of. They get up to around 6-8" and grow slowly. I wouldnt worry too much about their size. If they do not reach that big, thats fine, as long they are healthy. I made a post about Striped Raphaels in the catfish section.

Thunder

Jul 22, 2006
Thanks Guppy for that link. I found new important information.

Suggested Tankmates: Anything from tetras to cichlids, preferably South American, but will mix with all community fish.

Now I know any Cichlids will accept the Raphaels. Yay! In the future, when I get a bigger tank, having Cichlids will be under considerations.

Thunder

Jul 17, 2006
i have 2 raphael's myself and they are great at cleaning up. also when you turn off the lights they just swim everywhere and yes they do grow very slowly so size won't really matter.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
THUNDER, the site doesn't say _any_ cichlids, it just says "cichlids."

Which is to say that at least 1 species of Cichlid is compatible. I would definately avoid any of the more aggressive and territorial africans. Mbunas and such...

It's even a little misleading to say that South American cichlids are ok. For instance, it would be very foolish to put most species of fish in a tank with a breeding pair of convicts. There are also several large and aggressive SA cichlids.

Last edited:

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, I LOVE these guys, I see them at my LFS all the time and I want one, but I figure there like a nice steak for my oscars and the Mbunas I'm planning for my mom's tank would probably not be good buddies with him either.

Maybe I'll plan a tank around these guys! LOL Question though, is there any fish they can't be housed with other than fish that will harm him? Being a catfish it seems 'too good to be true' that he won't cause problems himself. He won't fight with a pleco, eat a guppy, or slurp up an ADF?

Jul 22, 2006
I understand! Angels are Cichlids too. There is so many things to think of and its all only 'thoughts' for now.

Yes, Raphaels are great at cleaning up. Not only that they come out at night, but at any time of day too.

Raphaels does not cause any problems for other fishies, but they do gobble down tiny fishies at night, only if the fishies fit in their mouth.

Thunder