stripped raphael behavior

Olga

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2005
I have him for a 1.5 month. At first, I had 2 Pictus catfish and Stripped Raphael. I saw Stripped Raphael a lot (compare to now). Then, I lost one of Pictus because of Ich…
Now, I can see Stripped Raphael maybe once a week, when he comes out of the cave at feeding time. Even at this time, when Pictus comes closer to him, Stripped Raphael hurries back to hide.
How do you think, is it normal…? Maybe Pictus scaries him or nipping or something.... What can I do to change it?

Thank you

Last edited:
I have had my striped Raphael for about a month now and I only really saw him for the first two days. After that I had to catch him with a red flashlight when all the lights are off in the house (and tank). They are very nocturnal, much more so than common plecos. I would say this is normal. I have heard that if you lay an ornament against the glass and it provides a dark area, that they may even make that their "cave." This way you would be able to observe them without having to shuffle too much in the tank. I have faux tree trunks in my Serenity tank and he has made the cotton lined inside his home.

These are generally not for beginners and/or people wishing to be able to always "see" them swimming around.

ferkix

Medium Fish
Jun 16, 2003
Pennsylvania
Yeah, it's pretty normal. I have had my spotted raphael for well over 2 years. I constantly forget I even have him until I decide to change around my deco. He then shoots out of hiding (scaring the tar outta me in the process).

Olga

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2005
I am glad that everithing is normal *twirlysmi

...just worry about his feeding. Raphael shows up maybe once a week or even once a 2 weeks. Also, he can go out of his cage (at feeding time), swim around of the cave and hide back there touching no food.
How often does your do so and how to make sure that he gets enough food? ...just let it go...?

ferkix

Medium Fish
Jun 16, 2003
Pennsylvania
I'm sure he's getting enough from scavaging left-overs after the lights are out. But you can drop a few shrimp pellets by his hiding place right before you go to bed once or twice a week to help alleviate your fears:)

Olga

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2005
I tried to do so, but I also have Pictus Catfish in the aquarium, who eats everithing that goes in there :) ...and so fast that Raphael has time only to move the nose out of the cave.
but I think you are right. If Raphael could not have had enough food, he would be more active getting it...

Last edited: