Strontium - Iodine

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey guys i'm starting to have pink coraline all over 2 rocks, and i was hoping someone could suggest a good brand of additives..
Kent super iodine ? Seachem strontium ? A mix of both strontium and iodine ?

BTW my water is crystal clear, and yessss....ammonia is undetectable.

:D

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How often are you doing water changes and do you have any stony corals. In all honesty while these have both these have been linked to coralline growth, if you are doing regular water changes you'd be wasting your money. Are you testing for these? Do you know they're low?
If you are going to supplement iodine be aware that in supplement form it's pretty unstable so do daily small doses rather than weekly.
Or more practically don't bother.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I was on a 20 % water change every 2 weeks schedule, but now everything seems stable and my test results are good. I have two little polyps..
I was thinking of reducing the water change frequency, so if i don't add much salt wich includes elements, the growth will be slowed.

Well i don't like the word "unstable" so i wont try to repair something that already work
:p

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Test your calcium. Optimum levels are 400-450ppm. If they er in this range monitor them closely. I probably wouldnt addanything other then kalwasser or something. Alkalinity should be high too.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I liked 10% every week, but I'm on about 4 a week now as I change one bucket every week, and my bucket is 10 litres and I guess I have 210 litres of water in there. I'd rather do a smaller weekly change - with 2 buckets of equal size it's easier - siphon into one, take water (pre made ) from the other

Hwarang

Small Fish
Oct 18, 2004
MPLS MN
Visit site
Take care when dosing iodine, it's easy to OD your aquarium. If you notice your crustaceans molting en masse after a dose (or dying), you're adding too much. :)

As suggested above, regular water changes are usually enough to replace consumed trace elements, etc... keeping your CA levels up is definitely a higher priority.

Good luck!

-me