Stupid Plastic Plant Question/Rant

zinful

Small Fish
Jul 24, 2005
this is just irritating, so this post is half complaint, half question: do those stupid plastic things on the bottom of fake plants do anything?!? seriously, i've tried filling them with gravel, i've tried burying them as much as i can, but the bloody things FLOAT! one would think the company would make them not floaty, seeing as they're intended for underwater, but nooo..am i doing this wrong, can i blame my dojos (that seems unfair) or is there a more expensive but heavier alternative to the crappy cheepo plants i'm using or what? stupid plants are all crooked, which the fishies like, but i dont so much. thanks for reading.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
hmmm...i have no prob with mine...and all my plants are plastic....

the plastic things are to help anchor them down.....when they are under the gravel.

alot of fish dig stuff up though. my cichlids are constantly tearing their 3 plants out of the gravel.

The plastic tray thing at the bottom of the plant is designed to get filled with substrate. It's the substrate that keeps it anchored. The more substrate that you have then the deeper you can sink the plant, and the more secure it will become. If your substrate is relatively shallow then adding another 1/2" - 1" should help.
Some fish do enjoy digging up plants, so this could also be your problem. Although you should see if happen gradually. The natural bouyancey of the plant should not cause it to get pulled up out of the substrate once it is "rooted." A strong curent running past these plants may cause them to shift too.

Alternatively some plants come with a weight instead of a tray. These are usually silk plants though.
You could always tie a plant weight to the bottom of the fake plant and "root" it that way. I think most fishing weights would work as well.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I agree with jedi... if you fill the bottoms enough, they will stay sunk. Course, they tend to gradually emerge if you vacuum.

The silk ones have a weight at the bottom that both helps them stay down and is easier to hide... plus if you can't hide it all the way, it's brown and semi-natural looking. You can even get them in 3 packs for semi-cheap at Walmart.

My LFS carries these taller silky plants that are anchored in gravel held together by some sort of hard solid stuff. They look like a disk of natural colored gravel, and they definitely sink. But I think they are custom made by some nearby little company- it says "Creative Pet Supplies, Southbridge MA" on the tag.

Aaron

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2004
Right under your boat...
I got tired of crappy cheap plastic plants and bought the larger heavier ones they sell for ponds. The plants are silk and the bottoms are chunks of rock. These bad boys don't float anywhere! They do cost a bit more and for smaller tanks they may be too big.

bfish

Medium Fish
Jul 23, 2005
el cajon california
I hate them too. But I have learned to put them partially under rocks or what have you. If they float I do not mind as it gives cover up above for fry and smaller fish that would otherwise be stuck at the bottom. btw life is to short to worry about the small things.

neon-cory

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Louisiana
I've got a 6" pleco with a hyperactive disorder that knocks my plants out of the gravel when he swims by them. When I stick them back in the gravel, it usually takes about 2 days and all of the short ones are floating again.

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
Zulu - not the first time I got this question :p - not at all. I've had the tigers for a good three-four years or so now, and they were always a docile bunch. They chase each other but not other fish. The guppies I've had for a year, almost, and the fin damage they occasionally get is from each other, mostly from a very feisty male in particular.

And to be honest, I've never had problems with tiger barbs. I've never had large schools of them. But I've had rosy barbs more violent nippers than tigers. *shrug* guess I've been lucky with them?