substraight...

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
I just got the 46 gal bow front from Wal-Mart for Christmas from my amazing wife.... so i emptied the water from my 80 gal and put the cichlids in the 46 gal in our room... anyways, that leaves me with an empty 80 gal tank for saltwater… what should I do about the bottom of the tank? I live in Merritt Island, fl so I can drive about 3 mins to the beach and get beach sand but it is not that pretty… another option is get play land sand from home depot or something, and the third option is to get crushed coral. But I know that the crushed coral is expensive…

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You should read through some threads in the SW forum on this (use the search function maybe?) I think that there is a wide variety of substrates. I have playsand in mine, because thats what was in the tank when I switched it from FW to SW. Some people mix them or go straight crushed coral....or there's that other stuff I dont remember what its called right now...I think its a brand of live sand/sand. One issue I remember reading is that some play sand has high levels of....I forget (sorry on a roll this morning)....in it and it can make your tank more likely to get algae blooms.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
play sand can have silicates in it, which would cause algae, I would just go with some dry sand from the fish store, no need to buy live sand or anything, it will get to be live sand when you add live rock. I would generally stay away from crushed coral, despite its buffering capabilities, it tends to be a pain to clean and can trap detritus.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Playsand might have silicates in it, but that is unlikely. It is likely that it is silica, and there is a big difference

Silica = SiO2 = Quartz = most sand grains = glass. NOT Soluble in water to any degree else glass tanks would dissolve.

Silicates - complex metal minerals containing Si and oxygen and lots of other things. Dark in colour, unstable/soluble to varying degrees in water. Generally dark in colour and generally NOT a component of any sands you'll see.

Most playsand is made of silica quartz. It may contain silicates, but a more likely source is your tapwater as silicates will also be dissolved into that. This is likly the source of most silicate in tanks.

Silicates are used to form diatom shells -no silicate, no diatoms. But your substrate is NOT likely to be the source of this.

Some playsand is made of aragonite, which is vaguely more preferable as the grounds are somewhat more rounded, and has some abilities to act as a pH buffer. But these are not likely to be good reasons not to use silica playsand.

Incidentally crush coral has no buffering abilities as it's largely calcite, and calcite is not soluble at pH > 7.5

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Depends. I think it's likely ok, but you'd need to 'eyeball' it first, but if itlooks white or golden and clean it's likely ok. Dirty looking sand will have more silicates as opposed to silica in it and may give you some problems. However for the cost of the amount of sand you will need for a 4 inch dsb in a 55, yes, playsand can be very attractive.
If however you go for only a shallow substrate , well I like oolitic sand, asnd as you will only be using a very small amount you can get it from the lfs or online or whatever.

I have a very thin layer of oolitic sand in my main display - I bought it 'dead' from an lfs for a very good cost. I do not believe 'live sands' are worth a row of buttons.

When I ran a remote dsb I used playsand. For my new tank I also plan to use playsand in a 'dsb in a bucket'.

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
well i got 40 lbs of crushed coral today... was thinking about gettin live crushed coral but if you guys dont see any benifits... then i will just get another bag of the coral... figured they would like the sand to be like how it is in the ocean... i got thick grain stuff too...

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well if it's still in the bag take it back and get fine. The trouble with the coarse stuff is waste gets trapped between the grains and it frequently ends up a bit of a mess unless you keep it in a very, very thin layer and hoover a lot

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Thats true enough, and it doesn't blow around so much....

How big is biggish anyway. The newer crush coral is somewhat smaller than the old stuff

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oh well, suck it and see. I wouldn't pile it up more than a centimetre deep else it will be a p.i.t.a. Frankly I've taken most of my substrate out for the reasons above