Substrate Question

Sep 27, 2008
I am getting ready to buy a 14 gallon biocube and I am trying to figure out a substrate to get. I have been seeing at one LFS argonite caribsea sand which looks pretty nice, but the other day i saw something called "marine sand" which was finer, which should I get, I think the marine sand was cheaper too.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
from what i have experienced, read and heard at various LFS (local fish store), aragonite is a higher quality sand that has bits of shells in it that supposedly are beneficial to the tank.

I have aragonite in my 29g and 50g tanks and am pleased. Some fish require the fine marine sand, like sting rays which otherwise could be damaged by the shells.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
caribsea aragonite is almost as fine as the marine sand which is aragnoite also but a finer sand which is good if you are planning on running a deep sand bed but the caribsea is good for sand sifters also as it is almost as fine.....

Nov 24, 2008
i also have a question, i was going to get arogonite too but im not sure. I also live close to the ocean (in the caribbean) and i was wondering if there was any problem with getting the sand from there. or even using a combination of both.......i cant seem to find any literature on this.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
i also have a question, i was going to get arogonite too but im not sure. I also live close to the ocean (in the caribbean) and i was wondering if there was any problem with getting the sand from there. or even using a combination of both.......i cant seem to find any literature on this.
I wouldn't. Unless you are getting it way out from shore. No telling what kind of contaminates are in beach sand. For that size of a tank just buy one of those sands at the store.