Votes: 15 68.2%
  • None of the above - Naked tank....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bios

New Fish
Jun 23, 2006
I currently have a 54g tank with a crushed coral substrate and will be moving in a month. So I was hoping to switch over to a sand substrate. Would it be wise to keep the crushed coral in and mix the sand in with it? OR would I be best starting out after the move with just sand? I have 70 pounds of LV in the tank. Would I need to worry about the tank needing to cycle with the switch of substrate? I am only moving 20 min away and plan to reuse all the water and transport the LV in the buckets of water.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
You won't need to recycle, no but I think you can expect a minicycle. How big of one you experience will depend on how stocked up your tank is, and how much substrate you are replacing.

You could always just add the sand to the crushed coral and then enjoy the benefits of a DSB (deep sand bed) as well as the new look.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
To help take some of the crushed coral and put it in an old stocking (panty hose) and let it sit in the tank for a few days....the bacteria will help seed the new sand bed.

bios

New Fish
Jun 23, 2006
Great ideas RockingCricket and Lorna! I have read that some people use play sand and then seed it like Lorna's idea. What would you all recommend? I was thinking of going over to the home improvement store and picking up some white play sand if it is a good idea. Sand at many of the LFS here in Milwaukee is expensive.