Sudden cloudiness

wnatw

New Fish
Feb 12, 2007
After adding fish to my new tank, everything was fine for about 24-36 hours, then the tank -- very suddenly -- got cloudy.

I've already changed the filter, added electrolyte salts and the pH normaliser, anyone got any ideas?

I have 4 -- no wait, now only 3 -- feeder fish and 5 zebras (very small).

What am I missing here?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
It sounds like a bacterial bloom...your filter is catching up to the added biological load in the tank (new fish). Just let it be for a few days and it'll clear up on its own.

Sep 19, 2006
I've already changed the filter, added electrolyte salts and the pH normaliser, anyone got any ideas?
you've been listening to petdumb people haven't you?

changing you filter isn't necessary after a few days (I'm assuming you mean the carbon filter pack thing)

you don't really need salts, unless of course you're treating for ich

ph normaliser is not necessary (your ph is going to be about the same as the stores)

read the stickies about cycles and figure out what someone means by "bacteria bloom" (I'll third that idea as to what is happening) You've already got the fish in there, so you need to run out and get some test kits so you can figure out what you ammonia, nitrite and eventually nitrate readings are (get the test tubes and drops type of test kits not the strips). Your danios are possibly being poisoned by the ammonia/nitrite or it's the ph swing you're creating.

as you find you need help post enough info that people can give you ideas to help you as fast as possible. Include tank size, how long it's been set up, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings, what fish and detail the problem as much as possible. You'll be amazed how quickly everyone will help you.

wnatw

New Fish
Feb 12, 2007
Thanks for all the tips.

I threw in the salts and only a pinch of the pH stuff more out of panic than anything else. It's now been cloudy for about 24 hours and I can't see it lightening up any, but I'll be patient.

It's a 20 gallon tank, I ran it for approx 36 hours before adding fish (5 [now 3] feeder goldfish and 5 small zebra guys). I obviously don't know much about maintaining chemical equilibriums, rest assured I'll be reading up.

Obviously I'm a novice, thanks for the help.

wnatw

New Fish
Feb 12, 2007
alright, just read the sticky on cycling, hopefully these guys are hardy enough to stick it out.

as for the dead fish, the guy in the [reputable] aquarium store told me that since i was setting up a tank, i should use these feeder fish [5/$1] before getting anything more expensive to test the waters. still, he said, i should expect some to die shortly after adding them. a bit unnerving regardless.

thanks for putting up with the n00b.

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Fishless cycling is the way to go! but you have made a common newbie mistake (i did it too LOL) and i think its mean that the people at the fish store incourage buying fish for cycling tank!
I have heard that the ammonia in the tank at the moment is burning the fishies gills and thats why it kills them.
Good luck!!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If you want your fish to survive the cycle, you really need to be doing daily water changes of 50%. Don't use any salt, PH stuff, or any of the other crap they try to sell you, you don't need it. You also don't even need carbon packs. You DO need water conditioner (add this everytime you add water to the tank).