Oklahoma, USA
I just completed testing my tank and it came back as follows;
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Specific Gravity 1.022
*BOUNCINGS

Ok now to the real question. With the tank setup and 1 Blenny Scooter, 1 Blue Tang, 10lbs LR (which is showing some growth). I was wondering if I should go with more live rock or a clean-up crew. I'm leaning towards LR. Of course this time I will take my time and do it right. No need in trying to kill off those 2 fish again. Or maybe there is something else I should do before either of these. What do you folks think.

Thanks in advance

55 gal
3-4 inches fine grain sand
1 Penn Plax Cascade Filter
1 Coralife Super Skimmer
10lbs LR

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I would say that you need to add the live rock, not only will it better the tank internally with added life and such but it will give the tank a nice look for you and for your fish to hide and everything.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
yah...would have been better to add the LR before fish in case it wasn't cured so just make sure its cured. I would go for at least 20# and then after that rock gets added then go for the cleanup crew.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
As somebody who has tried every feasible angle to avoid using live rock in his aquarium, let me share with you what I have been told from probably every regular here at the tank. Get live rock, the more the better!! It seems that the more you get, the better balanced yourtank will be.

Flame

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Great at least I'm working on the same page. LR it is. (Payday tomorrow) Any online suggestions or warnings. 1979 Thanks for the advise on curing the rock and the fish. Wished I had talk to you before I did that mistake. LOL Thank you to all that posted.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Flame, is your lfs live rock bad quality? It may save you money to buy locally (because of shipping), but you probably already know this. Im just curiouse why your ordering online

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I've done a lot of browsing through webpages recently, looking for live rock and as Camaro suggested, www.liveaquaria.com has some good prices. You can bet your life that their quality is very good as they are a reputable company. Another site I found which is a little cheaper is www.intmarinefish.com
I'm not sure on their reliability or quality because noone at the tank seem to have bought from them. If you do buy from them, I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say as I plan on buying from them myself once I have a few more pennies in the aquarium so to speak.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Be aware that if you mail order live rock and stick it straight in the tank, the risk of killing everything is quite high.

Scooters are a bit less fussy than mandarins

Flame

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
The Blenny Scooter I have seems to very tough. He survived some very horrible water chemistry, and everthing else I did wrong. He eats frozen shrimp and has become my favorite fish to watch bouncing around the tank and rock. Thanks for all the input folks