Suggestions for tank Decorations

Mar 23, 2005
Palmdale, CA
I have been researching and planning to start being a new fish hobbyist. I am going to buy a 55 gallon tank and am most likely going to do a community tanks. I am looking for suggestions on decorations - I know it's personal - mostly how everyone does their background. I think a solid dark color will work out best but am open for other ideas. I don't want a tank that is too gimicky with toys etc. I am thinking rocks and fake plants (not ready to deal with live) and am open to some fun ideas.

Thanks!!

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
yea Id say if you could go with sand, looks great! just gotta make sure you wash it real well. Some nice driftwood and slate rocks with some fake plants would look nice depending on what types of fish your are eyeing. Im just guessing but since your new are you familiar with fishless cycling and such or are you just getting into like right now

foty89

Medium Fish
Mar 1, 2005
Binghamton, New York
Sand looks good with a dark background. You can use play sand or pool filter sand, both are cheaper than gravel. Just be careful to really wash it well before you put it in and be careful when you vacuum the tank.

You can use a dark fabric as a background. You can also paint the outside a dark color. And of course, you can spend money to buy a dark background.