suicidal clown, now what?

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
so about a week ago, i found my smaller clown on the floor, and let's just say he didn't make it. i was wondering if my bigger clown would take another clown as its pal. i know that clowns are pretty select about groups and all, so what do i do? by another and hope they get along or trade in my present clown and get a new pair? my lfs doesn't have any more false percs, just wild caught true percs, so i've gotta make a 45 min trip to get a healthy false perc (the petco down the street has em...but c'mon, petco.) as i said, it's been about a week to a week and a half since i lost him. what do i do?

also, after i lost the clown, i got a glass top and new PC fixture, and i made sure there are no holes for jumpers. anyway, the hole that the clown did jump through was about 2" wide in the plastic hood that came with the tank. it was made to let the overflow box fit and do its job. i thought it was small enough to stop jumpers, but he got pulled into the overflow box and i guess panicked and jumped for it. but yes, i have a jump-proof hood now.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
thats weird i didnt think clowns were jumpers never had that problem b4 but to answer yur question there is no gaurentee that your clown will pair up with the new clown...if you get a new one just make sure theres enough of a size differance so they dont fight.... i wouldnt bother tryin to trade it in id just take my chances with the new one

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you've got a real percula, I doubt it would pair with a false... but I'm not really sure. I do know that if you want to add different types of clown, you're supposed to do them simultaneous. I'd think that the clowns would be able to tell the difference, even if they look similar to us.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i think he has a false perc and i dont think he was guna try and pair it up with a true*crazysmil but i could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time :p)

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
haha nope, i've got a false. the guy at my lfs actually said i could add a true; i didn't trust him, i just figured he was trying to make some money. sorry, i thought i made it clear but i guess not: i have a false. lfs has trues. far away shop has falses. looks like i'm taking a trip tomorrow.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
About your glass top, where did you get it from? Did you make it yourself or buy it custom, etc...?

I am currently running topless on my 33 but there is no livestock in it yet. I plan on getting a couple fish notorious for jumping but the glass top that came with the tank does not fit because of the new light fixture I got...I have a 36" Lunar Aqualight with the adjustable extending legs

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I had two false percs and one passed.....:( I then added another perc.....which I thought was a false perc but now I think it may be a true. Regardless, that was about 8 months ago.....the second addition is now clearly the female as she is now about 3 inches long and the original small one is still only an inch...these two swim around but not really together. They host different corals which is kind of funny I think every once in a while they look to be together then not.....