suicidal ghost shrimp

Jun 10, 2008
North carolina
I just bought a few ghost shrimp. They keep jumping out of the water and getting stuck on the little bit of the exposed tank glass. I'v had to slide theam back into the water at least 5 times now. Is this normal? :(

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I just bought a few ghost shrimp. They keep jumping out of the water and getting stuck on the little bit of the exposed tank glass. I'v had to slide theam back into the water at least 5 times now. Is this normal? :(

What are your water parameters? ie. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.

The only time I've had shrimp jump out of my tanks was when the water parameters were poor.

Mar 9, 2008
Utah
put a piece of mesh or a torn up piece of a net over the top of the tank, but make sure the holes are small enough so they can't get through. My guess is that they aren't used to the take but they should calm down. Are they jumping straight out of the water, or is they a plant or a piece of decor they are climbing on?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I've only had ghost shrimp jump onto the glass like that when my cichlids are chasing them, or when the temp is too high. If the water parameters are off they might too...or they might just die...they're not real hardy critters. Which is sad because they're so cool :D