sump and size of intake and return pipes.

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
hi all.

question. iv set my sump system up (if safegarded it for power outages - and pump burnouts. got a simple magnetic reed switch device setup and it works. done vigerous testing) now what ive done (ill be making an internal overflow box soon, with the syphone pipe going into it.) is iv got a 13mm syphone pipe going into the end of the sump with the skimmer. and i have a 13mm pipe hooked into the return pump back to the tank. so 13mm in and out.

should one or the other be bigger. if so which. just that i was givin a 19mm pipe and a 22mm pipe by the FS but there bot a metre long....

cheers
aron.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
your lfs probably gave you those pipes under the assumption that you would cut them and use elbows to create your plumbing. however, i think all of those pipes are far to small to get you the kind of water flow you will need in a reef. 13mm is about 1/2in and 22mm is only 4/5in i believe. usually on a tank of that size people will run 1.5in (~38mm) returns and 1.5 or 2in (~50mm) downs

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the thing is you probably are going to want to move about 900gph through your system. i think anything under 1.5" down is going to make it difficult to meet that flow rate. i have a 1.25" down and i am just about maxed out at 750gph

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The overflow from the main tank needs to be bigger as the return will be pressured. I would use at least one inch for the overflow, and preferably two of them in case of blockage. What's the return ? Is it going to be your main source of water movement?