SUMP & canister

flanders

Small Fish
Feb 19, 2005
So im probably gonna be putting a 25gal sump in at one point.. and was wondering if anyone had used a canister filter along with a sump and had any experience in this kinda setup

At present I plan on going from the tank to the canister to the sump using the canister’s pump and going from the sump to the tank via a second pump.

Any thoughts ..

also im curious about general experience with a canister.. had a tang die yesterday by getting stuck between the canister inlet and the wall of the tank. (personally I suspect the other tank murdered him and there is an ongoing investigation) im wondering if it would make more sense to mount a external overflow or weather the other people had success with canisters.

As a point of reference I am now at 70 lps of live rock and have long term plans to grow corals and possibly 1 bubble anemone as my tank gets more stable.

I also plan on adding 1 or 2 powerheads to the system eventually

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
i have a cascade canister filter on my 80g with like 80lbs of LR and it works great.I've also been thinking of adding a sump with my canister and would love some feedback on that idea

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
At present I plan on going from the tank to the canister to the sump using the canist

One thing to consider...Have you thought about if the Sump kicks out on you and the canister is still running? this would drain your tank in a mater of minutes and if no one was around for some time...bye bye tank!

flanders

Small Fish
Feb 19, 2005
good points and im sure my downstairs neighboor would thank you

what about an external overflow into a sump + a canister is that overkill or the more the better?

thanks

flanders

Small Fish
Feb 19, 2005
LS live sand...

i have heard a bit about this .. was debating puttiing about 3-5 " of live sand in my tank .. and swapping out the crushed coral..

everone at my 2 LFS's says it is a missive pain to clean.. but.. i may be willing to deal with that if it denitrafies..

cheers

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I like my Olive Snails for keeping my substrate mixed up. U don't C them much, but they are there doing there jobs. Come out from under the substrate mostly at night. It is so cool watching them as the ground just starts to move and then out of nowhere this big Olive shaped snail appears. Kind like thoughs big worms in that move "Tremors" or what ever its called. Any way they ROCK!