Sump/Fuge Questions

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay I have been thinking of doing this and would like some feedback or advice and I haven't been able to find much on this believe it or not. I want to make a sump/refuge for my 75g. I want to use a rubbermaid storage box about 15 to 20 g and inside the big one I want to put a smaller one that will be the fuge. I would drill or cut holes in the ends of the smaller one for water flow through the fuge. One end would contain the skimmer and inflow the other end would be the pump and heater etc. I would need to have an outside overflow as my tank is not drilled. I would try for a 600 gph overflow with a 1" drain. Is this sufficient? also I would have a return pump rated at 850gph with a ball valve on the return with a 1" return. Am I on the right track here or am I lunched?

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
You must have the overflow rated at a higher GPH than the return pump, otherwise you will be emptying your sump into your tank, and, overflowing your tank onto the floor. Definitely, do not go past 600gph for a return pump. Change overflows for a higher rate if you want more flow.

However, if you do use the ball joint on the return, this will be easily overcome by closing the valve slightly. To put less stress on the pump, if it is adjustable, turn it down.

-Kevin

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Last edited: