Sump OR Refugium?

Apr 10, 2005
I know its ideal to have both to maximize bio-processing potential, but please just work with my assumption that I can only have one or the other. The purspose of the refugium is not to support delicate species, but simply as an area to increase water capacity & bio-processing functions in lieu of a wet/dry filter.

For a 60 gal LR/Fish to someday become reef, and you had to choose either

a) 40 gal refugium w/ livesand, packed w/ LR, plus hang on back filter like an Emperor

or

b) wet/dry sump filter only

which would you choose? Either will have a p. skimmer. And, for educational purposes, if you would please explain the reasons for your choice.

Thanks for helping me understand,

P.K.

Last edited:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I would go with a fuge, more LR and LS is a bonus and you have more water, i wouldnt even use an emperor filter, just a good skimmer, I am just not a big fan of wet/dry sumps...just my thing though

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
aresgod said:
I am just not a big fan of wet/dry sumps...just my thing though
that isnt just your thing, i would agree with everything aresgod says. definitely go for the refugium with LS/LR (remember you will need to get some light over it too) and a skimmer and call it done

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
its basically a second tank full of water under or above or next to the display. you can stick all your equipment in there. not a necessity, definitely a nicety, but i wouldn't go to the trouble of putting one on your hex just because setting it up will be $$ and a major pain b/c of how your tank is designed/situated in the room