Sump Problem

Lloyd

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2005
The algae in my sump is not doing well at all. I put some pieces of caulerpa in about 4 months ago and initially they grew well. Now about 75% has died off - it sort of lost all it's colour, any thoughts.

My tank is 75gal, sump is 30 gal, there's about an inch or so of mineral mud on the bottom and lighting is a 2 foot 20 watt flora glow tube which is on 24hrs a day. I've a 100gal skimmer running with the sump. Main tank 30kg or so of live rock etc.

Last edited:

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
i went to wal mart and bought a PC cant remeber the wattage sun light it says right on the package 6500k, and i put it in a dome reflector, and my caulerpa and chaeto have been growing exponetially. I was using a tube light before that and I had the same problems you are having. If you want pics I can get you some...

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I had the same problems when i had light opened 24h in my sump...caulerpa was bleaching...well turning white. Now with a 10h schedule the sump is filled and super green; BUT caulerpa could go sexual this way.
I only have a cheapo 23w twisted, self-ballasted power compact. Works great...chaeto seems to like it too. ( 10g sump )

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've seen caulerpa go this way too. Mine always seems to grow in waves, then dies back for a bit, especially if I'm not fussy harvestng it, when I don't pull out enough, or am a bit too rough.