Sump problem

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Got home from work today and heard a unusual sound coming from my sump inside my stand. I opened the door and discovered that the baffle separating my first two chambers came loose and now the two chambers are basically one big chamber. It's been running well over a month just fine but I guess the pressure just made it give in. I can't remove the sump without removing the tank and I'm in the middle of cycling the tank so I don't want to that. I could bypass the sump and drain it and try to repair it that way but I'm not sure what that will do to the cycle process. Its pretty tight under there, as its a four foot long stand and three foot long sump. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
You know what, screw it. I'm just going to drain the damn sump this weekend and try to put the baffle back in place. If it ruins my cycle, so be it! It just pisses me off after all the time and money Ihave put into it so far that something like this should happen.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I dont really know how sumps work so much although i'm thinking about building one with an old tank... I think if you just take the media stuff out and place it in the water your taking out to do maintenance you shouldn't have much trouble with a cycle... but again I'm a noob on elaborate sump/filters.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
There usually isn't any 'media' in the sump, maybe some small rocks. just equiment and mabe a deep sand bed. So the cycle should be fine with water still being circulated in the tank.