Sump Question ?

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Well I'am going to be setting up a 30 gal display tank very soon . But iam also very new to this aswell , and have may questions . i want to add a sump/refuge soon after i get it runing and setup for awhile . But HOW ?

I dont want to drill my 30 gal tank ? what are my options ? also is it possiable to use a pump to pump the water out of the dispaly into the sump/refuge , and a pump in the sump to pump the water back into the display ? both pumps would flow the same

A hob overflow looks to pricey for what they are ? what are my options ?

What about a hob power filter moded into a refuge will it be big enough is it worth for a 30 gal ?

also where could i learn more about a sump/refuge diy setups for a 30 gal ? Thanks

Last edited:

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i guess if you wanted to use a maxijet pump ( or whatever ) and put a piece of hose on it to get it down to the sump and another one from the sump back to the display i don't see why it wouldn't work.. if it were me i would just by an overflow, they really arn't that much.. check ebay or your local reef club and get a used one.. you could make one out of some plexiglass im sure it woudln't be to hard either.. 20 gallon should be good enough, you can section it off into different areas so you could put ur fuge in it.. just a thought

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Using a pump to pump water down into your fuge/sump is not recommended and ishouldn't be considered an option at all, when you think about it. What if your return pump fails? you would then pump your display volume on to the floor........just a thought and the reason why you don't see people doing this......

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
lol pumping water out of yur display is not an option... the way the hob overflow works is how ever much water gets pumped back in to the display is how much and how fast it drains, you just dont want a return pump that exceeds the overflow.... i agree a 20g is a good choice for a sump/fuge
this site is IMO the best as far as infomation on this type of stuff
this is the overflow i got on my last setup and it worked fine

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Another problem with pumping water down is that you would need to perfectly match the flow rates between the two pumps (taking into head height vs. gravity this is virtually impossible) or you will overflow one tank or the other within a few hours even if you are only a smidge off. The HOB overflow is really your only option to do this successfully without drilling the tank.

You have a few options for the refugium: make one out of a large powerfilter, buy a HOB refugium, or design the refugium into your sump. I have a HOB fuge, but most people either make their own or build it into their sump.

- Kevin

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
camaro is right even if u get it down to the 1 GPH it would overflow in about 2 hours...

some people have sumps above their tanks so gravity brings the water down.
but again thats where the light is so not such a great idea for some people with multiple MHs...

theres always the hang on the back filtering box.
and dividing the tank so the back part becomes the sump.