sump refuge designs

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
hi,
i have a 50g tank im slowly putting together and i was really interested in doing a display refuge on the side of the main tank and have it gravity feed back to the main tank. was also thinking of adding a couple dwarf sea horses in there too ? and have a simple sump on the boottom of the tank. does anyone know of any sites that can help me out w/ this. im not much of a plumber so i need all the help i can get. one other question is:
if i had the refugium being gravity fed to main tank wouldnt that just cause micro bubbles and such?

Last edited:

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
the only thing i can contrubit is that the microbubles would depend on how the water reentered the tank, if it dropped a ways and caused a lot of surface agiation then i would think it would cause some.

But if the water fell a short distance then i think you would be ok, especailly since the water would be flowing slowly through the refuge and would have minimal bubles in it to start with.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
There is some good general sump info here: Melevsreef.com - Welcome!

As for the refugium, I agree with epond83, I don't think you will have micro bubble problems. To keep seahorses in the refugium I think you will want a pretty good sized tank so you may want to think about whether or not you will actually have room for it, but it seems feasible with good planning.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the micro bubbles will all depend on what size pump u go with... i belive seahorses require low flow so u should be alright as far as micro bubbles

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
where is your skimmer going to be set up? before the bubble trap i hope, also rememebr all your evaporation is going to show up in the last chamber with the pump. And lastly i'm new at this so that just my observation.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
looks fine other than that u dont wanna have the equipment in the return section unless u have an ato since that where the water level will fluctuate