Sump Refugium Quesitons

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I am planning to build a sump that has a dual overflow flowing into opposite ends of the sump with one end being the skimmer section and the other the refugium with the return section in the middle with a single return. Has anyone run this configuration before? pros and cons? thanks!

dual overflow rated 1200 gph with return to match.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Sounds interesting :)

The only problem I can see is controlling the flow through the refugium part so it's slower than the one that goes into the skimmer. Our (premade) sump splits the water, so a little goes into the refugium (through a small hole) and the rest goes into the skimmer chamber, then the water goes to the return pump.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
The good part of this set up is that you will not be over skimming the water and allowing the refugium the nutrients needed to thrive and supply your tank with lots of good phytoplankton.
I will be haveing one of my returns going straight into my refugium and one into my skimmer section as well... only my return is located opposit end.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I've thought about the same set up, i wonder how well a ball valve would work hooked up to just the over flow going to the refugium, then all other water flow goes through the other over flow and to the skimmer

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well I thought of a ball valve on the refugium return to slow the flow through the fuge as an option also. I could also have both overflows flow to the skimmer side with one line t'd off with about 25-50% running to the fuge side controlled with a ball valve. That way about 75% of the overflow would flow to the skimmer section and 25% would run through the fuge. I think in theory this would work, though my plumbing skills are not up to some. What do people use to cut pvc? I have read not to use a hand saw? but what if you de-burred it? I have a dremel will that work?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
yeah i though about running the two overflows into one pipe the splitting that pipe up, basically and 'X' configuration, a lot of plumbing though, but might be the best set up.

I've never plumbed a tank but my experice with pvc was cut it with a hand saw and use a utility knife to de-burr it.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
that is exactly how i have mine setup! i have the water flowing slower through the fuge .... when seting up my over flows the one going to the fuge is slightly higher than the other so naturally water flows a little slower through that one ;)
btw to cut pvc use a pvc pipe cutter :p

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
pvc pipe cutter. duh, that would be too easy.

Thanks Tre! My tank isn't drilled and I have been contemplating switching to a dual overflow and a 1200 return pump just to turn it over faster but that may not be the best option. I may stay with my 600 gph single overflow and split it with a y connector and ball valve. Cheaper than buying a new overflow and return pump too!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The way I understand it is that you really only want 10 time your volume flow through the sump & fuge per hour and at 600 that is just a tad under for me. This gives the cheato and the skimmer more time to remove nutrients from the water and to increase flow you should run a closed loop or power heads, which may be my next venture into plumbing.....a closed loop manifold