Sump/Skimmer question

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I can't decide on a skimmer. I am going to get one, but not sure which i want to get. My sump is not very big so i don't have much real eastate to work with IN the sump. Could possibly run an HOB on the sump. Hmmm...so torn i can't decide.

The sump i'm looking at is a custom 19" L x 15.5" W x 12" H as the total footprint. I havn't layed out all the baffles and compartments. Kinda waiting on the skimmer and build it around that.

I don't want the Fuge to be so tiny that its unusable too, so i'd like some room in that.

Drain/skimmer -> Fuge -> Return is what i was looking at in terms of layout.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
It's so you can hook it up to an external collection jug so you don't have to worry about emptying the cup if you are on vacation or whatever. It drains from the cup into the jug so the cup will never be full.
Collection Jug sold separatly. The remora and the urchin are the same price so if you are putting it in-sump go with the urchin.
Sorry I haven't been around too much so I have no idea what tank and sump size you are working with......but the remora typically won't work as is hanging on a sump because of the decreased water level to allow for overflow. (Unless you want to hang it on the back of your display).
I modified my remora into an urchin because I bought it before I knew I was going to have a sump :-D

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I had a remora pro hob....worked like a charm. Then I put in a sump and couldn't mod the remora to work on the sump so sold it on ebay and bought a new Urchin pro with the drain ......works great and Ihave the drain run into a 1/2 g milk jug......that also works like a charm as I don't have a lot of head room in my cabinet and it is tricky to get the collection cup out.....without spilling the contents...this way there isn't any in the cup and I can remove it easier. The only issue I have with the drain is that it limits you on setting your "o" ring at that spot.....it isn't a big deal but it does limit it somewhat.....ahhh I skim heavy anyway (easy to do with the jug) I would highly recommend the mag 3 or 5 upgrade though don't get it with the rio pump......

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I was hiding. Will probably catch up with you in chat if you still go.

The AquaC makes some good skimmers, they're just a little tricky. The CSS skims all the time, that is what I like about them. Additionally, the CSS comes with a needle-wheel impellered pump, whereas the Urchin/Remora only come with Mags or MaxiJets.