super gouramis

drake53

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
southern Texas
*thumbsups I have a male (red fire) dwarf gourami and my moms friend has a female and im going to buy it.:confused: Can they mate?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They can mate... look up how to breed bettas because it is similar except not as violent. The fry are really hard to raise, and most any fish will eat them.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
No, they will be too tiny and fragile. The eggs will likely be eaten long before they hatch if they are in a community tank. Since they are egglayers you'll also need specialized food for the fry. Unless you have experience with this, I wouldn't bother trying.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You don't have "experience" until you've successfully raised all of the fry, and if I'm not mistaken, your fry were just born...

Egg layers are much harder to raise as the eggs can be easily eaten and the fry are almost microscopic. You do need special food to raise the fry.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Frozen brine shrimp are fine for livebearer fry such as guppies. However, with egglayers, you will need microworms or even infusoria. You will also have to set up a brine shrimp hatchery to hatch live shrimp.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You need to read up on breeding gouramis. You can't keep the male and female together and you'd really need a seperate tank to breed them as they're egg layers and the other fish in your tank would most likely eat the eggs. The male might also get territorial. I would try your breeding with livebearers first, if you can get through that, you can explore other species.