surprise you have tetras!

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
someone got tired of looking at the 50 gallon empty tank while i tried to find my female johanni's. he brought home a bag with 2 each serape's, head and tail lights, harlequin, and glow light's. i had not researched them so i don't know much about them. i am going to move them to the 20 gallon when i find the girls. i like the serape's the best. i am not much of a tiny fish person and the others are really tiny.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
They will likely be fine as they are as long as your tank is completely cycled. They are all schooling fish and like to be in groups of 5+, so having only 2 of each kind of defeats the point. I would suggest selecting one group of tetras that you like the most and returning the other ones to exchange for that type. Tetra schools are very attractive with all one type, with only 2 of each it will look kind of hodge podge.

Moshi-Cat

Medium Fish
Apr 28, 2009
Pinellas Park, FL
See if you can trade the other's for serapes, since you like those best. Schooling fish need to be in a group because that's how they stay safe in the wild. They also like to socialize with others of their kind. They stress when kept in small groups or singly. Tell that "someone" not to mess with your tanks unless they want to do the reasearch first!

shanec

Small Fish
May 2, 2009
Ireland
i agree that you should keep maybe one type and give the rest back...the serpeas are really cool looking fish but ive heard of them picking at small tetra's just to let you know

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
i haven't had a problem with that yet but there are only 8 tiny fish so far in a 55 gallon. i am taking my sweet time selecting what i want now that i have decided not to move my johanni. there are so many tetra's to choose from!

shanec

Small Fish
May 2, 2009
Ireland
there really is alot of them!! and im sure in a tank that big theyl all be fine i forgot it was a 55g....good luck with them.a tank with a few dif small schools would be very cool to look at!