SW Bio-Spira in a FW Tank?

MidSSouth

Large Fish
Mar 18, 2005
Memphis, TN
The only local dealership here for Bio-Spira is a reef store and sells SW Bio-Spira. Does anyone know if that will work in a freshwater setup?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That is a very good question. Everybody takes it as gospel that freshwater bacteria won't work in salt, and vice versa but in the only peer reveiwed scientific papaer I've seen on this subject it was stated the relevant bacteria were actually pretty insensitive to salinity level.

Try it

MidSSouth

Large Fish
Mar 18, 2005
Memphis, TN
BigDaddy420 said:
there is a place in TN that will ship biospira on ice for pretty reasonable prices.

that place is in evensville, tn, here is the site, i just noticed u were from TN, so maybe just a nice afternoon drive or something to go pick it up
http://www.fishstoretn.com/
The nice afternoon drive is almost 8 hours each way for me. That's on the far side of the state from Memphis.

MidSSouth

Large Fish
Mar 18, 2005
Memphis, TN
From MarineLabs tech line:

Hello
It is two different strains of bacteria. One will not work in the other.

Thank you
Marineland, Aquaria Inc.
Tech help
(800) 322 - 1266

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:33 PM
To: Marineland Aquarium Products
Subject: Tech help - FW vs SW BioSpira

Can saltwater Bio-Spira be used in a Freshwater system? Is there a difference?

Thank you

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
i just got my order from fishstoretn and used the bio-spira last night, it arrived pretty cold, packed in with those gel ice packs and wrapped in insulation. been over 24 hours and everything seems fine, im gonna do water tests in the morning.

aceracer

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2005
when do you add that? and when you do, do you keep on adding the amout of amonia to keep the amonia lv at 5 ppm ? or how does that work? and how fast does it accelerate the process?? thanks im getting a 55 gallon tank with 6 loaches 8 tigerbarbs and a angel fish

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net