SW filter pictures?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I'm researching SW set ups. I know you need LR and that does a lot of filtering. But i was wondering if people could post pics of SW sumps and or refugiums with a short explantion. I have a good idea how it all works but pictures are always helpfull.

Thanks all

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Actually for a lot of setups LR does ALL of the filtration. For my tank its all LR and water changes. I'm sure some folks have good pictures of their sumps or fuges though that they can share.

For the part of the filtration that a refugium could help with (nitrate reduction), you really just need water flow in and out of it.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Ok cool, i'm thinking up areound the 100 gal. size so i just figured a sump/fuge would allow me more fish (relitivly) with out filling the tank with rock, obvously i would have quite a bit anyways. Also with refugiums i see people have lights, do those stay on 24/7?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
heres a pic of one of the sumps i built myself

btw some peolpe leave the lights on in the sump/fuge 24hrs but i have mine on only when the display lights are on wich is 8 hrs a day

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm also building a sump which looks just like tre's. I have been experimenting with light times. I have read that running your fuge lights opposite of your main tank is better because it helps stabilize your pH. This is because you always have something photosynthesizing and releasing o2. I have also tried 24 hours, but didn't notice much of a difference.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Wow all very interesting… well this is why I’m doing like every one says research a lot.

Tre I’m looking to build my own when this all happens, I see what looks like two baffles before your pump, is this to let ‘stuff’ settle out before getting to the pump?

Also I see that most SW doesn’t have mechanical filters just wondering how bigger floating stuff is removed, is this done by living ‘cleaner’ creachers?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the baffles are basiclly just to filter out all the micro bubbles..... when the water travles down the baffle the air goes up ... its pretty simple once u see it in person

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Thats a nice looking sump Tre......I keep thinking of building one myself and might do it over the winter as a winter project :)

There hasn't been much mention except by Lotus of a protein skimmer and if your intent is to have a fuge/sump to add volume so that you can have more fish then a skimmer is definitely something you will want to research also. These can be housed in your sump area and will increase the quality of your water.