SW Help...

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Well I all of a sudden developed the Hard Crusty Green Algae in my tank. Not sure why, but its there. Its the hard stuff to get rid of, scraping would be the only way, but its all over, behind the rocks and on some of the glass. I have also noticed that my torch coral is all of a sudden dying. Some of its tentacles are gone, and its not as big as it used to be. I haven't been to the LFS yet to test my water, but I'm sure something is off. Maybe nitrates? Any help would be great. Thanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The hard green coral could be coraline algae. Sometimes it's green.

Have the store check your alkalinity and calcium, as well as your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. It would be a great idea to get your own test kits while you're there, so you don't have to wonder about your parameters.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Thanks guys.

I just thought that it took longer than a few days to develop the coraline algae. but I could be wrong. And I thought it was only purple? Either way I'm glad I have it because thats a sign of a thriving tank correct?

My LFS is right down the street from me, so I will have them test the waters this evening. Thanks again guys...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes, I have dark red, green, purple and some orange in my tank. As to the torch, they can be tempermental and much harder than frogspawn to keep. You have yours in the sand do you not? Is it fully expanded each day or is it retracted? do you feed it? and your parameters.....also when was the last waterchange, temp, ph, alk etc.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
He is in the sand in the front of my tank. Basically he fully inflated about 2 days after I bought him. 3 weeks went by and he was doing great and then now....

I do a water change about once a week. I'm due for one right now, so I will do that and then see how he looks....

Thanks

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
when in doubt always do a water change! in my tank the green coraline came right before the pink started going crazy so its actually a good thing

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I got a lime green coraline as the first color to really start growing in the tank. Later, it was overtaken by pink coraline.

It can certainly grow within a few days, especially if your calcium and alkalinity are good.

It would be a good time to either get a mag float (and use it every few days) or make sure you're scraping the glass weekly. Once the coraline gets a hold, it's a lot more work to remove it.